Teavana in your beers? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Teavana in your beers?

Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
khugs21
Recipes 

Apr 2010
long island
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Well I bought my mom a teavana kit for her birthday and I am blown away by the aroma and taste of some of these teas. My brewing mind instantly thought how can this be incorporated into some brews. Anybody do it? Im thinking a wit or some other belgian brew. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
andvari7
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

I think I have single-handedly kept Teavana in business over the past two years, and I've tried using it in my beer. My first brew was a Brooklyn Brew Shop Tea & Toast, and I used some of my high-end tea. It did not end well, though I suspect that most of that is due to the fact that I had never brewed before.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
72Chevelle

Recipes 

Feb 2013
Mooresville, North Carolina
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Someone with more knowledge would know what that would do to the beer but I have read in the mead and wine forums about people using black tea instead of Tannin, I know one of the biggest things people are trying to avoid in mashing

Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
Cincy17
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Harrison, OH
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I made a dunkelweizen with 2oz of one of their chai teas. I can't remember which I used but I think it turned out fairly well. Next time I will cut down on the tea though because the spice completely overwhelmed the weizen character but I didn't get any tannin from it even though it was black tea. It scored a 29 in the first competition I entered and their only criticism was the overpowering spice.

Edit: I made the two ounces in a French press according to the temp and time recommended by teavana and poured it in the boil at flameout.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Carnegie, PA
Liked 226 Times on 168 Posts

I have definitely considered doing a metheglin with something from Teavana...I don't routinely add tannins to my mead except in certain circumstances, but it can be a valuable addition at times. I would think that many of the Teavana teas would have less tannins than your run-of-the-mill black tea (many of the Teavana teas I've tried use white or green tea as the base...)
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider (2014 & 2015)
Planned: So many ideas, not enough time to brew them....