Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > S-04 or bread yeast?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
osu_avi8rix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default S-04 or bread yeast?

Looking for some advice on a mead I was planning to start tomorrow. I made JAOM a few months ago, and it was awesome, so I wanted to do a play on it for my second mead. The plan is to basically follow the instructions for jaom, but with these ingredients (1g batch):

3# Blueberry honey
Pint of blueberries
Handful of raisins
1 clove
1/2 cinnamon stick
Top off with blueberry juice after the first couple days

Not sure what yeast to use though--I've got S-04 lying around, but I've made a cider with it that ended up being a little yeasty, which I wouldn't want in a mead. In the tradition of JAOM, I was thinking of just pitching bread yeast. Anyone use s-04 in a sweet mead with success? Any thoughts appreciated!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I haven't known of anyone ending up with extremely horrible results from normal bread yeast, there's just a lot of skepticism because of its name and the ABV range that it may yield (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think you would be fine using bread yeast. Just be sure to let it age correctly. It should take the yeasty flavor out.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 30

should be fine.

bread yeast usually does somewhere in the region of 12% ABV.

There's nothing to cause any bittering,unless you blitzed the blueberries, but it depends on the weight of the fruit as a fruit wine of that type would generally use something like 2 to 4lb of fruit for a gallon, so it may work out fine, but equally it could come out a bit light on fruit flavour.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds just fine, but I bet ginger would go quite well with blueberry.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
prohl84
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I have made a few meads with s 04 and I love it. I didn't detect very much yeastiness even though I consumed those meads young and cloudy. They were still fermenting even, so they were sweet but I had a significantly lower OG than what you will end up with.

Also, I think your recipe looks awesome and agree with saramc that ginger and blueberry pair nicely.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
osu_avi8rix
Recipes 

I decided to stick with the bread yeast after all, given my limited experience thus far (though I might throw the S-04 in an experiment next week).

After fatbloke's response, I decided to add about half a lemon (most of the pith removed, only a bit of zest and juice) to add a bit of freshness and bitterness (I actually liked the slight bitterness in JAOM)

I figure if the fruit flavor is too light after primary, I can stick it in a secondary with some more--mostly I wanted to enhance the blueberry honey flavor, not have an in-your-face blueberry mead.

Ginger sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately I'm the only who likes it among my family! I might try a half-gallon with it.

Thanks for all the responses!