Summerfest Orange Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chynes077

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
6 (23L)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 @ 21°C
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 21°C
Additional Fermentation
Carb and let it sit in bottles for 14 days @ 21°C
Tasting Notes
Good mouth feel. A perfect beer for spring and summer. ABV is approx 6.2%.
This is the first recipe I put together by myself, so I had no idea how it would turn out. Luckily it turned out to be a damn good beer! Let me know what you think. Also, I had no idea what beer category to put it under so I went with Light Hybrid Beer.

Ingredients:

3 kg Light LME
.5 kg Wheat DME
.25 kg High Malt Glucose
.5 kg Canadian 2 Row (steep)
.5 kg Flaked Barley (steep)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hops
1 oz Citra hops
2 medium sized naval oranges
Nottingham Ale Yeast

Directions:

Place 3 gallons of cool water in brewpot and bring to 155°F. Steep Canadian 2 Row and Flaked Barley for 45 min @ 155°F. Then remove grain bag, let it drain, then discard.

Remove from heat and add Light LME, Wheat DME, and High Malt Glucose, then bring the mix back to a boil. Once it`s boiling add the E.K Goldings hops and start 60 min boil.

With 10 min left in the boil add the Citra hops and the zest and juice from both oranges. Once this is complete re-hydrate the yeast.

When the boil is complete add the wort to your primary and top with cold water. Once the wort has cooled pitch the re-hydrated yeast.

Cover or attach airlock to your primary and let it sit for 5 days @ 21°C then rack to secondary. After 10 days, carb with priming sugar and then bottle. Let it sit in the bottles for 14 days @ 21°C.

Enjoy!

Notes:

-I used the orange zest, but also got some of the white rind from the oranges and added them to the boil. I found it added just the right amount of bitterness and flavour.
-The High Malt Glucose is just added to up the ABV without sweetening the beer too much.
- I used 1 cup of corn sugar and 1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar dissolved in 1 cup of water to carbonate the beer.

This turned out really well and it`ll be a good beer for spring and summer!

sounds like a good beer i think i will give it a try this weekend. has anyone else brewed this?

Here's one from when I first tried it. It was probably a couple days early because I couldn't wait.

IMG-20130322-00655.jpg

finally cracked open a bottle or two very refreshing beer i think i might try a sweeter variety of oranges next time

I'm really wanting to make this soon! Sounds delicious, I'm still pretty new to brewing. This would be my third time, the first time I used kits. I have a couple questions.

If I wanted to use a liquid yeast instead what would be a good substitute? Do most homebrew supply stores carry high malt glucose? And can you walk me through how using the oranges work? Preparation and what portion you use when? Thank you!

All of the homebrew stores here carry high malt glucose. You may just have to look around.

A good liquid yeast that I may try next time would be W/yeast 1056 American Ale or 3068 Weizen Yeast.

I just used two regular naval oranges. I used a potato pealer to get the zest and some of the rind of the orange off. Then with 10 min left in the boil I added the zest and rind and then cut the oranges in half and just squeezed the juice from both into the boiling wort.

I'm really wanting to make this soon! Sounds delicious, I'm still pretty new to brewing. This would be my third time, the first time I used kits. I have a couple questions.

If I wanted to use a liquid yeast instead what would be a good substitute? Do most homebrew supply stores carry high malt glucose? And can you walk me through how using the oranges work? Preparation and what portion you use when? Thank you!

mine did not carry it but he was able to give me a sort of substitute for thinkinging it was a steeping grain i just don't remember what one
so i would say ask your brew store

Back