Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Low cost automation

Old 12-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #11
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

Check out the "TeensyPi Networked Temperature Controller" thread for the hardware/software being developed.
An alternate approach is to use USB to I2C adapters that are not that expensive, and I2C digital and analog hobby boards are not expensive either. I have built a test platform with off the shelf parts and borrowed parts of the automated system software to build a C# app to make them work.
If all else fails then an off the shelf interface like the LabJack hardware is a good place to start, simple to use and has software support.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
I have built a test platform with off the shelf parts and borrowed parts of the automated system software to build a C# app to make them work.
Any chance you could link to the code?

Old 12-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

About the only code from the test application that might be useful is the IOworker and Controlworker classes, the rest is graphic related. This is only useful if you are using a http://www.gravitech.us/i2c16gpex.html GPIO board and a http://www.gravitech.us/i2c128anco.html analog IO board. This is not a ready to run brewing application, just something I created to test a few ideas and boards in preparation for a more complicated control board design that overcomes most of the IO noise vulnerability and output current limitations in other systems.