Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I really want to rack to a secondary...

Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #1
ZenBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default I really want to rack to a secondary...

Ok, the title says it all. I've made a scotch ale and its been in the primary vessel for about 4 weeks. This is the first time I've left a beer in the primary vessel for the entire fermentation.

At this point, it should be ready to put into the keg, right? I feel a strong need to put it into a secondary vessel so that i can clarify it some. I feel like if i put it right into the keg it will be cloudy and won't clarify in the keg, even as time passes.

Should i just take the plunge and keg it? Is there a risk of it being cloudy?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Have you looked at it? I bet the hydro sample must be pretty clear by now. If your gravity is stable, cold crash and rack to keg. No worries IMO.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
pumpkinman2012
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 319

I've found that every batch that I put in a secondary for 2 weeks is very clear!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
DirtyOldDuck
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Secondaries do not have magical clarifying powers. It will clear as much, or more, if you leave it in the primary for two weeks. It will clear as much in a keg as it will in a secondary, especially if you put it in your fridge, kegerator, or keezer. Maybe cold-crash before kegging or try gelatin. Or secondary if you want, it's your beer.
wyoast Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
brewbobaggins
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldDuck
Secondaries do not have magical clarifying powers. It will clear as much, or more, if you leave it in the primary for two weeks. It will clear as much in a keg as it will in a secondary, especially if you put it in your fridge, kegerator, or keezer. Maybe cold-crash before kegging or try gelatin. Or secondary if you want, it's your beer.
I second this.
Check out my latest homebrewing thoughts, recipes, tastings, and happenings at Ten Bottle Brewing. Drinking, researching, and brewing just about every style, with an emphasis on the bacteria-laden variety. Enjoy and brew on!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
ZenBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I took a sample about 3 weeks ago and it was decently clear and i believe it had stoped the active fermentation at that time.

I can take another sample tomorrow to see how it is doing before i keg it.

I think the reason I'm nervous is because i made an ESB last year and after a week i moved it to the keg thinking i could use it as a secondary. After ten days i suck it into the fridge. It never cleared up. But that is way different because the yeast didn't have time to finish up, right?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
ZenBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I can see secondary vessels don't have clarifying powers. Just hard to break a habit, you know? :-)

Old 03-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I still always secondary for a week, but only because I'm a sloppy siphoner. I can't seem to rack from a primary without sucking up some of the yeast cake and the secondary gives that a chance to settle back out. If you're not a Brew McShakeyhands like me, then just go right to the keg.

Besides, if you throw it in the keg, by the time it carbs it'll have settled out in the keg as if it were a secondary. The first pull of the keg will bring out that sediment and you'll have clear sailing (drinking) after that!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
DuckiesRevenge
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I still always secondary for a week, but only because I'm a sloppy siphoner. I can't seem to rack from a primary without sucking up some of the yeast cake and the secondary gives that a chance to settle back out. If you're not a Brew McShakeyhands like me, then just go right to the keg.

Besides, if you throw it in the keg, by the time it carbs it'll have settled out in the keg as if it were a secondary. The first pull of the keg will bring out that sediment and you'll have clear sailing (drinking) after that!
I'll second this. I never get a clean siphon. Plus the extra practice of sanitation can be nice. I'm a biochem major by training so I'm a bit anal about keping my equipment clean.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Although.... This falls squarely under my first rule of homebrewing... "It's your beer so you get to do whatever the hell you want with it"... So do what feels right to you.