Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Vendor Processing Time

Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
kevreh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Vendor Processing Time

This is a bit of a rant, but what is it with the time it takes vendors to get orders out the door? Three, four days is not uncommon. Add shipping time and that means you have to order something 1-1/2 to 2 weeks out.

So many other markets routinely get products out within a day or two. Not even talking about the Big Guys (ie Amazon) that ship the same day; not a fair comparison.

I've ordered from Northern Brewer and AHS before but am tired of wondering whether my order is going to take 2,3,4+ days to send out.

Business strategy note for stores that want to gain market share; promise that you'll get orders out within a set time (1 or 2 days) or you'll give a decent discount. Fulfill this by having the support staff available. Increased sales will more than pay for it.

There seems to be industry malaise with order processing time. Maybe as consumers its our fault because we tolerate it.

My $.02.

My eBrewery

Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 59

There are some homebrew stores that ship the same day the order is placed. For example William's Brewing.

TyTanium Likes This 
Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevreh View Post
This is a bit of a rant, but what is it with the time it takes vendors to get orders out the door? Three, four days is not uncommon. Add shipping time and that means you have to order something 1-1/2 to 2 weeks out.

So many other markets routinely get products out within a day or two. Not even talking about the Big Guys (ie Amazon) that ship the same day; not a fair comparison.

I've ordered from Northern Brewer and AHS before but am tired of wondering whether my order is going to take 2,3,4+ days to send out.

Business strategy note for stores that want to gain market share; promise that you'll get orders out within a set time (1 or 2 days) or you'll give a decent discount. Fulfill this by having the support staff available. Increased sales will more than pay for it.

There seems to be industry malaise with order processing time. Maybe as consumers its our fault because we tolerate it.

My $.02.

You must be a young-un'....Consider what mail-order was 20-30 years ago, 3-4 weeks was probably the average. The only reason 3-4 DAYS seems unreasonable to you is that Amazon has streamlined their shipping system so that it is stupid fast, and accounts for a good percentage of the market share for retail items.

Also, take into account that homebrew shops just don't pick and ship goods....there is typically processing in there is as well (grinding grains, bagging up into smaller quantities from bulk, etc.). Its quite a bit different than a robot going to pull a book from a pile and throwing it into a box.

Want instant gratification? Try a LHBS.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have ordered from both NB and AHS, and have never had to wait more than a day or two to get tracking and that includes ordering over the weekend.

I am very happy with both shipping departments.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
kevreh
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
You must be a young-un'....Consider what mail-order was 20-30 years ago, 3-4 weeks was probably the average. The only reason 3-4 DAYS seems unreasonable to you is that Amazon has streamlined their shipping system so that it is stupid fast, and accounts for a good percentage of the market share for retail items.

Also, take into account that homebrew shops just don't pick and ship goods....there is typically processing in there is as well (grinding grains, bagging up into smaller quantities from bulk, etc.). Its quite a bit different than a robot going to pull a book from a pile and throwing it into a box.

Want instant gratification? Try a LHBS.
Nope, don't consider myself a young-un (still listen to the 80's channel on xm to reminisce )
Yeah, and 20-30 years ago we had 300 baud modems, which I'm sure you would find intolerable by todays standards So "20-30 years ago" has no bearing on today.

I made it a point of NOT comparing an internet homebrew store to Amazon because their not comparable.

Your right on the LHBS, comparing prices and factoring shipping its pretty much a wash. Obviously easier to order from my desk, but maybe I'll start getting supplies for two batches at a time.

My eBrewery

Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You are ordering from the wrong places....

Midwest, AHS, NB, and especially morebeer take forever.

Farmhouse brewing supply and Graintoglass both have extremely fast turnaround and good pricing.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 251

AHS used to ship quickly. Lately, they have gotten very slow (4-5 days to process an order, plus ship time).

However, I made a small order with them on Friday (oxygenation kit and a pack of campden tablets), and it was at my house yesterday. I got my ship notification on Monday, so this time, the turnaround was great.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
krenshaw

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 28

i usually order my stuff form AHS, and it does seem that if you are getting grains it takes longer than if you aren't getting grains.. but i do love their feature of mixing the grains for each of my recipes for me.. i typically order 3 batches at a time

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: Apfelwein, Nugget Nectar, Brinner, Sticky Red, Smoked IPA
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone | Keg 2: Brinner | Keg 3: Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 03-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad
AHS used to ship quickly. Lately, they have gotten very slow (4-5 days to process an order, plus ship time).

However, I made a small order with them on Friday (oxygenation kit and a pack of campden tablets), and it was at my house yesterday. I got my ship notification on Monday, so this time, the turnaround was great.
I have also noticed the recent slowdown. For the first two years of homebrewing I could order on Monday or Tuesday and be sure I'd get my goods before the weekend. Now it's kinda a crap shoot. My last order shipped very quick though. Maybe they just get swamped sometimes.

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

These processing & shipping times are increasing for a simple reason. 1M home brewers & counting. & that's just North America. Not surprising ordering & receiving in 2-3 days doesn't happen much anymore. They're basically getting log jammed everyday by folks from all over the place at once. No man being an island,you're gunna wait longer. On my last order,midwest was propcessing over the weekend+,due to inventory taking. Then they sent me the regular bench capper instead of the Super Agata I ordered,a difference of $6.
I talked in their chat window to a sevice tech,& he's sending me the right one with a return label for the one they sent originally.
So they still have great customer service.