who has a dog who likes BEER??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dog loves beer, but he's a beer snob. If I offer him something like a blonde or other lighter fare, he'll have a lick and wander away. Stouts and porters he loves. IIPA or a good Belgian quad... he does crazy trying to get every drop out of the bottom of the glass.

I sometimes make beer with no hops at all.

Seriously?

I posed that question because if hops are the unhealthy ingredient for dogs, and you arent using much (or any), then worst case scenario is puppy bumps into a wall or two...

I use to have a rather large Newfoundland dog (235lbs) that if you left your rum & coke unguarded for even a second she would knock it over and drink it. there was 1 or 2 times where she did end up getting drunk, it was not fun trying to pick her up

Hello, Just an FYI, do Not give your dog beer, hops are toxic to dogs just like chocolate is, and do Not give your dogs IPAs whatever you do, I asked our vet about giving our dog spent grain dog treats and she said NO.

I also use to give our dog beer, until speaking with our vet.

Cheers :mug:

They contain hop residue/saturation in them.

Never had hops mixed in my spent grain either. You should tell your vet they should study up on that one, before offering incorrect advise.

My $0.02 on this as a vet, as a brewer, and as a dog owner/lover.

As a vet, I have a sticky on hops toxicity. It exists, but it is RARE!!!. Rare enough that no controlled studies can be done on it to find out exactly how it works, whether it is exposure dependent or dose dependent, or if there are specific predispositions. Current thinking is it is a genetic predisposition and my be a dose dependent response, however at this time we only have evidence, not PROOF. As far as "studying up before offering incorrect advice" I would say no incorrect advice was given. With the first rule of any medical practice being "Do no harm," if there is ANY doubt as to the safety of any practice, the go to response will be "Don't," because if you do, and it goes wrong, it is OUR fault. Besides, expecting anyone to know everything about something completely unrelated to their field is unrealistic. As far as no hop residue grain treats go, you should be fine unless you have an allergy/IBD/IBS/etc... underlying problem.

As a brewer, I have to be knowledgeable in my area. I have heard about hops toxicity. Discussing the issue with your vet if you have further questions is now my responsibility. Some vets are less strict than others, just like physicians. You have your health nut MD who will tell you to jog 10 miles a day and be a 4th order vegan that only eats things that don't cast a shadow. Then you have the, "a few beers, occasional bacon burger, and a cigar are not the end of the world, as long as they are not too frequent" MD who is a bit more laid back and (in my own opinion) more realistic in expectations. but that part depends on the relationship between you and your vet, and it is up to you and your responsibility to either follow or ignore their advice.

As a dog owner, my dogs get SOME beer OCCASIONALLY (yes, even with HOP RESIDUE :eek: ) and grain treats. yes I know the risks associated with it, and if something happens it is my fault, and that is a decision where I have to accept the consequences and assume responsibility if the worst were to happen. I have the information, disregard the danger, so it is now on my hands.

My bully (bullmastiff) loves IPA's but that is it. I don't let her "drink" it but she gets a finger lick or two. Have to keep my eye on her or she will try to steal a lap out of my pint glass when I am not looking. So far, she has no interest in other varieties.

Chris

I have two Malinoi (what is plural of Malinois?) And one likes most alcohols (the one in the front), but the other will only drink it in a mixer with something sweet (the one in the back).

ForumRunner_20130321_095753.jpg

All they do during brew day is lay out in the sun.

Ah the malinoi, known in my neighborhood as "Oh what a beautiful German Shepherd" "Actually he's a malinoi but thanks." "Oh? What kind of German Shepherd is that?"

I had a couple mullberry trees in my backyard at my old house and there would be mullberries all over the ground in the summer. My two dogs would go to town eating the fermenting mullberries and used to get tanked. It was kind of funny at first.

Ah the malinoi, known in my neighborhood as "Oh what a beautiful German Shepherd" "Actually he's a malinoi but thanks." "Oh? What kind of German Shepherd is that?"

Sounds like you've been on a few walks with us. Back when we were in an apartment the conversation would go: "Oh pretty dog, what kind is it?" "Belgian Malinois." "It looks like a german shepard. You should have it tested to be sure. We don't allow german shepards here."

My dog a mini schnauzer hangs with me when I keg. If any hits the ground he is on top of it. I don't feed him any, but don't put your beer down on the ground... his tongue will be right into it.

Hops, maybe. But what is your vet's rationale for no spent grain treats?

Actually, we stopped giving them to our dog. Leads to anal gland issues. Too much grain causes soft stools. Soft stools cause the glands not to express properly. That leads to bad things. After our dog had one absess and need surgery, we switched to an all-grain food and cut pack on any treats that were high in grains. They're still find for most dogs, in small amounts, but if your dog has any trouble with the bum... best to avoid them.

Now we use the spent grains in bread. :)

Seriously?

I posed that question because if hops are the unhealthy ingredient for dogs, and you arent using much (or any), then worst case scenario is puppy bumps into a wall or two...

I'm super cereal.

Coffee stouts don't really need hops to balance anything out. Oh sure, hops can go well in those beers. Coffee can be bitter on its own too. If it's the dark and rich coffee flavor one wants to showcase, screw hops. Same with creamy smooth stouts where it's about the dark roasted, chocolatey grains and malty richness. I think hops can distract from and even degrade those flavors.

My bad, I stand corrected, I wasn't thinking when I replied with this statement was only thinking about what the vet said.

I figured you weren't thinking when you said that. I had a doctor once tell me about a danger in homebrewing and I blindly believed him without even thinking about it. Turns out there's no real possibility it could be true. Doctors and vets don't always know it all.

my pitbull floyd will eat/drink damn near anything he can touch, he's never turned down a little bit of beer I may happen to spill while inebriated...

An old buddy of mine had a pot belly pig. During and after a good night of partying, the thing would go around knocking over bottles and cans and drinking the sloshy leftovers. He was unstoppable party machine.

An old buddy of mine had a pot belly pig. During and after a good night of partying, the thing would go around knocking over bottles and cans and drinking the sloshy leftovers. He was unstoppable party machine.

Nice go piggy go:)

My Aussie is a big beer fan, but picky. She loves hefewiezens, IPAs, and most sorts of stouts, not a fan of fruit beers or doppelbocks. My Sheltie on the other hand has no interest, bring out a cheese plate though...

Back