Sometimes a stuck ferment is ... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Sometimes a stuck ferment is ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts



just a stuck ferment!

Haven't brewed since April, due to the heat. Made a PM Brown Porter Saturday. I had a problem getting the mash temperature right as the grain had been in the freezer and I didn't allow time for it to warm up. Break was good, no boil problems. Hit the OG (1.052, TG 1.015) and got full conversion per iodine test (I don't normally test, but given the temperature problem). Pitched a packet of Windsor (AHS recommended Muntons), knowing it would leave me with a sweeter brew.

Hit 1.020 in 36 hours. Same-o at 72 hours. Roused the yeast, nada, no action at all. As a test, I put an enzyme tablet in the sample tube, added some Turbo yeast and warmed it to 80F. No change this morning, still 1.020.

So, I'll let it clear and keg it. Nothing wrong with a sweet porter.


__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Evan!
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,863
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts


I hear ya. I've learned to accept slightly higher FG's. My double IPA recently finished out around 1.040. I freaked out. I added dextrose and yeast in an attempt to kick-start it, but all it did was ferment out the dextrose and stop around 1.039. So I just let it sit for a good long time (88 days in secondary to be exact) while dryhopping and oaking it (not the whole time of course). I just bottled it yesterday, and my FG was 1.032 (OG was 1.094). Bad attenuation, but it could have been worse. See, you have the luxury of just saying "fu*k it" when you're kegging. But I've had more than a few batches finish high, sit there doing nothing for a month or more in carboy, then turning into gushers (or at least a little overcarb'd) once I get them into bottle. So I've become very anal retentive about FG.


__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Beerthoven
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Cary, NC
Posts: 2,176
Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
As a test, I put an enzyme tablet in the sample tube, added some Turbo yeast and warmed it to 80F. No change this morning, still 1.020.
david_42, can you please explain this?
__________________

Primary/Secondary: #132 American Wheat
Kegged: #130 American Pale Ale, #131 Stone IPA clone
Planned: Dusseldorf Alt, West Coast IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts


This is a technique for forcing the breakdown and fermentation of any complex malts that might remain in a brew. The enzyme tablet contains alpha amylase and other enzymes to de-branch the malts and cut them into the simple sugars yeast can process. The Turbo yeast is a distiller's yeast, but I used it just because I have a lot. Also, it works best at higher temperatures. Warming the tube should have accelerated the enzyme activity.

I only do this in a hydrometer tube, because if it works properly, everything is broken down and processed, leaving a very thin, low malt beer. Since nothing changed, there has to be some problem other than starch/sugar conversion. Maybe the protein break wasn't as good as it looked.

If a drop in gravity had occurred, I would have known that the ferment would eventually get close to the target, but it could take months. If I bottled, I would leave the batch in the clearing tank for two months to avoid bottle bombs. Since kegs have relief valves, it doesn't matter.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk


 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Beerthoven
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Cary, NC
Posts: 2,176
Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
This is a technique for forcing the breakdown and fermentation of any complex malts that might remain in a brew. The enzyme tablet contains alpha amylase and other enzymes to de-branch the malts and cut them into the simple sugars yeast can process. The Turbo yeast is a distiller's yeast, but I used it just because I have a lot. Also, it works best at higher temperatures. Warming the tube should have accelerated the enzyme activity.

I only do this in a hydrometer tube, because if it works properly, everything is broken down and processed, leaving a very thin, low malt beer. Since nothing changed, there has to be some problem other than starch/sugar conversion. Maybe the protein break wasn't as good as it looked.

If a drop in gravity had occurred, I would have known that the ferment would eventually get close to the target, but it could take months. If I bottled, I would leave the batch in the clearing tank for two months to avoid bottle bombs. Since kegs have relief valves, it doesn't matter.
Interesting. Thanks for the answer.
__________________

Primary/Secondary: #132 American Wheat
Kegged: #130 American Pale Ale, #131 Stone IPA clone
Planned: Dusseldorf Alt, West Coast IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts


In one of those events that makes homebrewing a true art; after five days of being stuck at 1.020 my Brown Porter dropped four points overnight. So, I'm at 1.016, which is good enough in my book.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
strohs
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Columbus, OH
Posts: 149
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
In one of those events that makes homebrewing a true art; after five days of being stuck at 1.020 my Brown Porter dropped four points overnight. So, I'm at 1.016, which is good enough in my book.

What was the total time it was in the primary?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts


It's been a week.


__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stuck ferment lupulin All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 01-08-2009 09:40 AM
ferment stuck? FEARDIZ Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 12-07-2007 03:34 PM
Stuck ferment or ??? rokipynes General Techniques 4 10-01-2007 03:54 AM
stuck ferment? drobbins Mead Forum 7 09-11-2007 03:49 AM
Stuck ferment that wasn't Seveneer General Techniques 9 03-17-2006 01:09 AM


Forum Jump