Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Strawberry Blonde Dilemna
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
BonzoAPD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Congers, NY
Posts: 358
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Hey guys. I want to make a Strawberry Blonde. I need advice though on what I should use to rack with the strawberries. Currently I have a fermenting bucket, a bottling bucket, and a 5 gallon better bottle that I use for secondary. Do I need to get another fermenting bucket or Should I rack to secondary, the put strawberries in existing fermenting bucket a few days later and rack the beer onto it?


BonzoAPD is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
DocScott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 825
Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts

Default

I'd do this by simply adding your fruit to the carboy then racking your fermented beer ontop. Let it sit for 1-2 weeks then rack to your keg or bottling bucket. Least number if transfers lessens chance of mistakes, oxidation and infection.


DocScott is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Snisup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 443
Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

You ferment in your normal primary vessel for a week or so then rack onto the strawberries (frozen, I hope) in whatever vessel you want. Leave for another week or so until the FG has stabilized. Strawberries will dry out your beer slightly so don't be surprised at a FG below 1.010. Install blow off tube because you will have a big mess if not... Something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130319_155326.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	108973
Snisup is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
BonzoAPD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Congers, NY
Posts: 358
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScott
I'd do this by simply adding your fruit to the carboy then racking your fermented beer ontop. Let it sit for 1-2 weeks then rack to your keg or bottling bucket. Least number if transfers lessens chance of mistakes, oxidation and infection.
There is not enough room in my 5 gallon carboy to have the strawberries and the beer
BonzoAPD is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scoundrel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 810
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD View Post
Hey guys. I want to make a Strawberry Blonde. I need advice though on what I should use to rack with the strawberries. Currently I have a fermenting bucket, a bottling bucket, and a 5 gallon better bottle that I use for secondary. Do I need to get another fermenting bucket or Should I rack to secondary, the put strawberries in existing fermenting bucket a few days later and rack the beer onto it?
If it were me, I'd get another bucket. That being said, be aware that strawberry is very subtle in beer, so you will need to add a crap load to get anything out of it.

Additionally, refrigerate it once you rack on the strawberries to minimize re-fermentation and preserve the berry flavor.
__________________
BrewGeeks.com
My Brewday
Track Your Beer

Starter??? I don't even know her!
scoundrel is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
2thGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alton, IL
Posts: 62
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

When I do strawberry blondes I put my frozen strawberries in a fermentation bucket and rack from primary into the bucket. It's a lot easier to get the strawberries in and out of the bucket. As long as you make sure your siphoning is good you shouldn't have too many problems from oxygen exposure from doing secondary in a bucket.
2thGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Brewnoob1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 982
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

I add frozen berries to a 2nd bucket and rack on to them. For a 5 gallon batch, I use 6lbs of whole frozen berries and the flavor is nice. Not strong but not weak either. You know you're drinking strawberries. It's not sweet though. As someone else mentioned, it dries it out a bit which is a good thing for my taste. It's very light and refreshing.
__________________
Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!
Brewnoob1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
BonzoAPD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Congers, NY
Posts: 358
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1
I add frozen berries to a 2nd bucket and rack on to them. For a 5 gallon batch, I use 6lbs of whole frozen berries and the flavor is nice. Not strong but not weak either. You know you're drinking strawberries. It's not sweet though. As someone else mentioned, it dries it out a bit which is a good thing for my taste. It's very light and refreshing.
How long do you leave the strawberries in the bucket?


BonzoAPD is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BM's Centennial Blonde -> Strawberry Blonde illin8 Recipes/Ingredients 9 05-15-2015 12:38 AM
All-Grain - Strawberry Alarm Clock v3.0 (Strawberry Blonde) weirdboy Fruit Beer 230 05-03-2015 02:16 AM
Strawberry Blonde Ale TheRuffledBrew Recipes/Ingredients 9 08-19-2013 11:15 PM
strawberry blonde ale Trid All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 03-17-2012 03:50 AM
Strawberry Blonde Marnrfn Recipes/Ingredients 4 05-13-2011 11:43 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS