Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Kolsch
Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Kolsch

My next extract kit is a kolsch from austin home brew. It's my second ever batch. I was thinking about putting something in the secondary for a nice spring flavor. Anyone one have any ideas? Or should I just leave it the way it is. I have never had a flavored kolsch so I'm not sure which way I should go if any at all.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Depends. Are you using liquid Kolsch yeast? If so, leave it the way it is, Kolsch is supposed to be a semi-lager. Light, simple but with nice fruity flavors from the yeast. Not bitter and not really hoppy at all. It requires the proper yeast to truly be "Kolsch"

Dry yeast? your not making kolsch anyway, so do with it what you want To my knowledge there isn't a single dry yeast strain for Kolsch!

I'm just going by pure style guidelines here. You simply won't make a true Kolsch without wyeast or white labs Kolsch yeast. I have 10 gallons of Kolsch fermenting away as I type, my brother and I brewed yesterday

Old 03-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

I could see adding some type of fruit to a kolsh turning out well. maybe peach or apricot, or strawberry. I'd probably use real fruit, as a lot of the extract flavorings taste weird, at least to me they do.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Liked 524 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Kolsch is supposed to be clear, crisp, and clean flavored, so its not something that is commonly flavored.

Which, in my book, means its a really good idea to try it.

To make it "Spring-like".... I'm thinking herbs, rosemary or thyme. Or maybe citrusy with orange, lemon or lime zest.
We all have our crosses to bear, mine happens to be a cat condo.