Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Auberins pushbutton switches

Old 03-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
lukez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Auberins pushbutton switches

So I just realized I ordered the SW11 (1 NO 1 NC) switches instead of the SW1 (2 NO) from auberins and PJ uses the SW1 in his diagrams.
I tried looking up what the difference is and have a hard time understanding. I'm guessing I have to try and exchange these or can I use the 1NO 1NC that I have?
I'm doing this build here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/yet...-build-282235/

Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 492

The main power switch is the only one in that wiring plan that needs to have 2 N/O modules in it. You can buy a module if need be.

If you already purchased the 240V coil contactor you are stuck with the original diagramed plan.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
AllanMar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Looks like that diagram doesn't use the 2nd NO contact for anything. You should be fine, just don't wire anything to the NC contact.

EDIT: Didn't see PJ's reply and missed the power switch.
You could always just only switch 1 leg of the power for the contactor?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
lukez
Recipes 

It's ok I rather do it the right way, I'll try to get module exchanged worst case I'll order another pushbutton oh well price you pay for exploring new territories!
Thanks guys

Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
The main power switch is the only one in that wiring plan that needs to have 2 N/O modules in it. You can buy a module if need be.

If you already purchased the 240V coil contactor you are stuck with the original diagramed plan.
Why does the main power need 2 NO? why switch both hots if it is only for control of the main power contactor (which does need to switch both hots).
I see only one switch, as wire in the schematic in the 1st post, as needing 2NO - the alarm so that the button can be illuminated to show the alarm is "active".
This could be done with 1 NO if the switch is moved to switch the common into the PID (13).

Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 64

If the only thing you have that needs 2NO is the main power switch, I'd just switch one of the hot legs. Your SSR does it to control the element, why not have your main power switch do it? One hot leg goes through the switch and then to the coil, the other hot leg goes directly to the coil. You've got a functional power switch and you don't need to contact Auber and get an exchange / buy another NO contact.

2014 - 70gal
2015:
10gal American Pale Ale
5gal Wee Heavy
10gal Irish Red

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: American Pale Ale
Keg 3: Wee Heavy
Untapped Kegs: Irish Red
Fermenting: Nothing (need to start drinking!)
On Deck: Hefewizen

Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As mattd2 said, you could just wire one of the hot legs to the coil (in this case the black wire would probably be best) and then switch the other hot leg on the main power switch and you would be fine.

The only button that is going to be an issue is the alarm button. Because the circuit that is switched when you close the alarm button is not completed until the PID closes the relay when an alarm condition is reached, which means the button will not illuminate until the alarm is triggered.

I would recommend just buying another contact block for that switch and wire up the rest of the switches that you have. If you need an updated wiring diagram I can help.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Nothing :(
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltin View Post
As mattd2 said, you could just wire one of the hot legs to the coil (in this case the black wire would probably be best) and then switch the other hot leg on the main power switch and you would be fine.

The only button that is going to be an issue is the alarm button. Because the circuit that is switched when you close the alarm button is not completed until the PID closes the relay when an alarm condition is reached, which means the button will not illuminate until the alarm is triggered.

I would recommend just buying another contact block for that switch and wire up the rest of the switches that you have. If you need an updated wiring diagram I can help.
Or move the alarm switch so that it provides power to the common alarm post (13) on the PID. Then a single NO block can be used to both light the illumination and provide power to the alarm.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
lukez
Recipes 

so i can get away with using these switches??? volt or someone, would you be able to update the diagram to reflect these changes to clear it up for me?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This diagram should be correct:

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Nothing :(
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...