Need kegging help please. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need kegging help please.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
TacomaHomeBrew
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 107


I'm about to keg a IPA from the secondary. There is still a decent amount of trub including the 1oz of hop pellets that made its way to the bottom. It's been 2 weeks since the dry hopping.

I'm wondering if I should put a muslin bag over the tip of the racking cane or the end of the hose that goes in the keg. Or both? Thanks for the help guys!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
ghosthef
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 229
Liked 60 Times on 32 Posts


I don't strain when I keg...don't end up getting much in the keg and even when I do...the first beer has all the trub in it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
Reelale
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Posts: 17,765
Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHomeBrew View Post
I'm about to keg a IPA from the secondary. There is still a decent amount of trub including the 1oz of hop pellets that made its way to the bottom. It's been 2 weeks since the dry hopping.

I'm wondering if I should put a muslin bag over the tip of the racking cane or the end of the hose that goes in the keg. Or both? Thanks for the help guys!
Sanitize a bag and place it over the hose. It will save you a lot of heartache. Leave it kinda loose. A wire tie works well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Euphist's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Jacksonburg, WV
Posts: 502
Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts


Personally, I just keep the cane out of the trub.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
WDT
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Fresno, CA
Posts: 298
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHomeBrew View Post
I'm about to keg a IPA from the secondary. There is still a decent amount of trub including the 1oz of hop pellets that made its way to the bottom. It's been 2 weeks since the dry hopping.

I'm wondering if I should put a muslin bag over the tip of the racking cane or the end of the hose that goes in the keg. Or both? Thanks for the help guys!
I have better luck putting a long straining bag over the outlet. I noticed that my smaller auto siphon has trouble with hops sometimes so I bought a 1/2" auto siphon.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
IslandLizard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Pasadena, MD
Posts: 6,363
Liked 1062 Times on 908 Posts


Tie the sanitized mesh bag over the racking cane tip. And don't splash the beer going into the keg. Keep the end of the hose under the beer level.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
worksnorth
 
worksnorth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Soldotna, Alaska
Posts: 685
Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard
Tie the sanitized mesh bag over the racking cane tip. And don't splash the beer going into the keg. Keep the end of the hose under the beer level.
+1
5 gallon paint strainer bags are perfect and cheap

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
TacomaHomeBrew
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 107

Thanks so much for the help guys!! I normally just rack it without any bag but this brew had 4ozs during the boil and 1oz during the secondary. So none of my brews have ever had this much trub. I'll probably just sacrifice a little more brew than usual while racking and take notes for next time. Thanks again guys!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
worksnorth
 
worksnorth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Soldotna, Alaska
Posts: 685
Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHomeBrew
Thanks so much for the help guys!! I normally just rack it without any bag but this brew had 4ozs during the boil and 1oz during the secondary. So none of my brews have ever had this much trub. I'll probably just sacrifice a little more brew than usual while racking and take notes for next time. Thanks again guys!!
Seriously!! Don't sacrifice it, mesh bag it, heck I've used two bags before. Please don't sacrifice it !!! :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
edb
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Chicago
Posts: 261
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts


As the others suggest use the bag over your racking cane.

I've dry hopped in the keg a couple times and had good results. I used a hop bag and put some sanitized marbles in it to keep it down. the bag still floated with an oz of pellet hops and 4 marbles.
__________________

Fermenter 1: Gumball head clone
Fermenter 2: Azacca Mosaic Promise-ish

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kegging help. shawnfoxall Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 11-11-2012 11:50 PM
Kegging Kit TankMoose Bottling/Kegging 4 08-12-2012 12:18 AM
Kegging kit or DIY Chuckabrewski Bottling/Kegging 11 03-02-2012 09:27 PM
kegging question from a kegging noob RootvonRoot Bottling/Kegging 8 05-22-2009 02:03 PM
best way to get into kegging? RJSkypala Equipment/Sanitation 2 11-10-2008 05:09 AM


Forum Jump