Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing for the first time.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
NateG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Growing for the first time.

I decided on a whim this year to grow some cascades. I am basicly taking over a failed raspberry bed that is roughly a 6'x2' raised bed and putting in 5 plants. The bed is on the east side of the house and gets full morning sun and most of the afternoon sun but is shaded a bit by a tree and hedge. My biggest concern is the soil, we have had a few things die because the soil is so hard. I am going to take our tiller and dig down about 2 feet if I can and replace a good portion of the soil with compost and possibly some peat moss. The nice thing is there is already some uprights for the raspberries so I am going to bolt some 10 foot lengths of 3/4 electrical conduit to those and make them about 12 feet tall. As I said my biggest concern is the soil, we have had trees to where the roots hit the edge of the hole we dug and just start circling.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
NateG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

PS, I planted the rhizomes in gallon pots this morning and have them outside, it's in the mid 50's to 60 right now.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
NateG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I worked on the bed today, I cleaned it out and turned the soil. I also made the uprights for the trellis.
Here is the bed in its old life as a raspberry bed.

After cleaning it up, still need to add the manure/compost.

For the uprights on the trellis I used 10 foot lengths of electrical conduit and just used stainless hose clamps to secure them to the existing stakes which works well because I can loosen the clamps and lower the uprights so that it is easier to reach things from a ladder.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
NateG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Since the weather has been a bit unpredictable lately, occasional frost in the morning and sudden downpours I decided to make a little greenhouse to keep the pots warmer and dry. I don't think the frost hurt the rhizomes any because I moved the pots under cover at night and there wasn't any frost on them.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
NateG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

They're starting to come up
Mini Me: A cider experiment

Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
hophop
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Very nice. I wish I had a good place to do the same.