Conan Yeast Experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
Wanted to start a separate thread from the Heady Topper clone thread to focus on Conan since a number of people (myself included) are/will be using it in other beers besides a HT clone.

I'm planning on using it in a Galaxy Pale Ale this weekend

currently on the stir plate for the 3 step: 1 can (200ml/1250ml/3000ml)

never had any type of foaming or krausen on a starter using my stir plate like i've seen with Conan.

2nd step had a bit of foam but no concern
3rd step was added last night after decanting most of the liquid and at 3am today I had foam overflowing my 3000ml flask - added a few drops of fermcap and it's still foaming up pretty well.

I'll report details on the Galaxy APA in a few weeks. I'm also considering using it in a Kolch but would like to try to keep that fermentation clean

Curious what results people are getting at different fermentation temperatures, pitch rates, attenuation etc.

Ill report this evening. I have a kern river Citra DIPA going now with Conan in it. Insane fermentation at low temps and my starters were rediculous as well. Killed my stir plate with an over flow.

I have a double IPA going with Conan right now. It was a very vigorous and seemingly fast fermentation--the krauesen built up quickly and mostly subsided after about three days, with an initial temperature of 64 and a final temperature of 68-70F. It's now on cleanup duty, with some airlock activity and plenty of yeast still in suspension five days after the initial pitch.

Speaking of the pitch, I had a 1L starter, built up from one can. Amazing how peachy the stuff smells!

So this thread reminded me to get a gravity reading. Krausen has dropped and beer is now warming up to ambient temps, roughly 68-69 degrees.

Fermented it at 63*, took off immediately from the starter I made, and was done in like 4 days roughly.

Beer is still cloudy, much like Heady, so this yeast doesn't flocc out that awesome, but I bet with a good cold crash it would be just fine. Not brilliant, but not a hefe look. ;)

Took my DIPA, mashed at 149* from 1.083- 1.019 in that time period. I expect it to eek out a couple of points, but this recipe isn't meant to get very dry, ( Kern River Citra DIPA), I even mashed a little higher than suggested, thinking Conan would go wild on it. It stayed in check for the most part. BS2 estimated my gravity at 1.020 I think it was. The original is a full bodied beer, and will all the crap in it, I'd suspect it anyways! I kept it all the same, except I used Pearl malt for the base malt, the same malt used in Heady.

The peach notes of this beer is off the charts. My hydro sample has a head that won't go away. Very velvety mouthfeel, uncarbed.

Gonna give it another couple of days to clean up in the primary, and then I'll probably send it to the kegs for the dry hop cycle.

One parallel however. Heady Topper has a slight sweetness to it, but not much. Finished at 1.014. When I saw the hydro settle at 1.019, I was a bit worried. I don't like a FG that high, but I know it's not getting to 1.010 at this point. The beer while having some malty sweetness, doesn't have that thick cloying taste of a beer at 1.019 that I would have expected. I've seen that the orignal clone should be around 1.010, from 1.070.. Not exactly what I had going on, but I did bastardize the recipe from the get go!

do you think the fruity/peach notes come from fermenting at cooler temps, like us-05 can get at times?

One parallel however. Heady Topper has a slight sweetness to it, but not much. Finished at 1.014. When I saw the hydro settle at 1.019, I was a bit worried. I don't like a FG that high, but I know it's not getting to 1.010 at this point. The beer while having some malty sweetness, doesn't have that thick cloying taste of a beer at 1.019 that I would have expected. I've seen that the orignal clone should be around 1.010, from 1.070.. Not exactly what I had going on, but I did bastardize the recipe from the get go!

I had the same experience. My Heady 'kinda' Clone finished at 1.018 from a 1.074, so I was a little concerned because I really dislike sweet beers. But, somehow this beer is not sweet at all.

Conan is an amazing yeast.

brewed a Galaxy APA yesterday. placed the wort in my minifridge to cool a few more degrees before pitching but it ended up chilling down to 57°. Last night I went ahead and aerated with o2 and pitched 125ml of runny Conan slurry and set the SP to 62° to let it free rise up. This am the blow off tube was slowly bubbling and the temp was reading 60°.

i'm gonna try to see if Conan will work around 58° when I brew my Kolsch(ish) beer later this month

I've done 4 beers now with conan that a friend built up and gave me some of

APA (1L starter from washed yeast starter): 1.054 to 1.012 mash @153F (78% attenuation)
American Wheat (1 cup slurry from APA): 1.054 to 1.010 mash @153F (81%)
IIPA (2 cups slurry from APA): 1.085 to 1.013 mash @148F (85%)
Milk Stout (1 cup slurry from Am wheat): 1.065 to 1.02 mash @154F (80% if remove lactose)

most of fermentation was done at 58-60F ambient, which worked out to about 62-65F internal. its certainly a lil fruitier & hazier than chico. none of them have reached great clarity even after a few weeks in the keezer. the aforementioned friend recently split an IPA 3-ways (chico, conan, w34/70) and the chico one was the best, so i'm not sure how much more i'll play around with conan at the moment.

do you think the fruity/peach notes come from fermenting at cooler temps, like us-05 can get at times?

Doubt it. My starter that was stepping up twice, I didn't control the temp. It was probably 68-70 easily. I smelled and tasted the starter beer, and while nasty from no hops, and being from extract, it was extremely peachy. More of a warm sweet peach, where at the cooler temps, I find that more tart, semi sweet peach/apricot note.

On a side note. While I haven't checked the gravity of my beer again, I'm a bit bummed that it didn't get drier personally. I think it'll be a great beer, as it tasted great flat, and without ANY dry hop in it, but put me off just for the fact the number isn't what I like to see.

I got somewhere around 78% attenuation, which ain't bad for a beer that was 1.080+. All things equal, if I hadn't gone bigger than planned, the beer would be just right where I wanted it to drop.

The sample I pulled, it put in a glass and chilled for a day in the fridge. The beer was still hazy, and still peachy, but I did get a fair bit of it to finally drop out and settle in the glass. My hydro sample had a good quarter inch thick cake in the bottom of it, and it was a normal small juice glass.

I just kegged a Beer that i brewed 3.5 weeks ago with Conan.

Conan DIPA

10 lbs 2 row
4 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Vienna
1 lb wheat

Mashed at 153

OG: 1.073
FG: 1.012

ABV ~ 8%

60 min 1.5 warrior

5 min
1.5 simcoe
1 amarillo
1 columbus
1 centennial

Whirlpool (170) - 30 minutes
1.5 simcoe
1 amarillo
1 columbus
1 centennial

Dry Hop - 5 days
2 oz simcoe
1 oz Columbus
1 oz Amarillo

Sample tasted really good. Tropical and also some slight dankness from the columbus. Very excited to get this chilled and carbed!

I just kegged a Beer that i brewed 3.5 weeks ago with Conan.

Conan DIPA

10 lbs 2 row
4 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Vienna
1 lb wheat

Mashed at 153

OG: 1.073
FG: 1.012

ABV ~ 8%

60 min 1.5 warrior

5 min
1.5 simcoe
1 amarillo
1 columbus
1 centennial

Whirlpool (170) - 30 minutes
1.5 simcoe
1 amarillo
1 columbus
1 centennial

Dry Hop - 5 days
2 oz simcoe
1 oz Columbus
1 oz Amarillo

Sample tasted really good. Tropical and also some slight dankness from the columbus. Very excited to get this chilled and carbed!

Alright. I kegged this on Monday and it has been sitting in my attic (no room in the fridge) at around 44 degrees since then.

Just pulled a half carbonated sample and holy **** is this good. I will call it Conan the Destroyer.

I have won a few local comps and have been told that i brew some good beer, but this is by far the best DIPA i have brewed.

This yeast is amazing.

So I'm on my first attempt to harvest Conan, and we're about 36 hours in. I started with about 2 ounces of HT from the can bottom, and transferred that to 250 mL of 1.02 wort. I have foamy bubbles, particularly when the stirrer is on, or after a good shake, but that can dissipate a bit if I leave it. Not sure if that's truly yeast activity yet. Last night I wanted to add some yeast nutrient, so I put 1/4 tsp Fermax into 250 mL 1.02 wort, cooked it up, cooled it, and added it to my flask, bringing the total to 500 mL. According to the Fermax bottle, the recipe is 1 tsp per gallon, so I figured 1/4 tsp for 500 mL total would be accurate.

Now... I discovered this morning my stir plate gives off some heat, and may have warmed up my harvest mix to 90F! Did I kill Conan??

Whenever I've made a starter for bread, the yeast seem to thrive at a temp like that, but does anyone know how Conan will handle it?

I've read lots of articles on how to calculate pitch rates and just end up confused. One guy has a table with grams of yeast for different OGs, and that makes some sense, but you have to assume your slurry is equally dense with his.

The idea of estimating cell counts seems ridiculous when the only way you can actually do that is with real laboratory equipment. As a home brewer we can easily measure volume, weight, and gravity. How can I use those measures to make sure I'm pitching the right amount of slurry? That assumes I've already decanted off the "beer".

Assuming you step up to a 2L starter and have a bunch of yeast slurry sitting on the bottom, how many mL of this slurry is adequate to pitch a 1.06 OG 5L batch?

I've read lots of articles on how to calculate pitch rates and just end up confused. One guy has a table with grams of yeast for different OGs, and that makes some sense, but you have to assume your slurry is equally dense with his.

The idea of estimating cell counts seems ridiculous when the only way you can actually do that is with real laboratory equipment. As a home brewer we can easily measure volume, weight, and gravity. How can I use those measures to make sure I'm pitching the right amount of slurry? That assumes I've already decanted off the "beer".

Assuming you step up to a 2L starter and have a bunch of yeast slurry sitting on the bottom, how many mL of this slurry is adequate to pitch a 1.06 OG 5L batch?

You're right, it's all an estimate unless you can measure viability. Pitching 100 g of 20% viable slurry is vastly different than pitching 100 g of 80% viable slurry. How to really answer your question, I'm not sure. To make sure I was cultivating the best possible yeast, I would invest in a stirplate, oxygenation set-up, and yeast nutrient.

You're right, it's all an estimate unless you can measure viability. Pitching 100 g of 20% viable slurry is vastly different than pitching 100 g of 80% viable slurry. How to really answer your question, I'm not sure. To make sure I was cultivating the best possible yeast, I would invest in a stirplate, oxygenation set-up, and yeast nutrient.

According to MrMalty, there are 4.5B cells in 1 mL of yeast solids. In a slurry, only about 25% are solids, so that gives about 1.1B cells/mL slurry. Conservatively assuming 80% viability, that would give about 800M cells/mL.

A 1.06 OG wort is 16 Plato (60/4 = 16).

According to Mr. Malty's formula for ales: 0.75M cells * (5gal * 3.7L * 1000mL/L=18,500) * 16P = 222,000K (or 222B cells).

To get 222B cells, you need 277.5 mL of slurry.

Does that sound pretty close to what you're pitching from a 2L starter for a 5 gal batch?

Anyone else getting Belgian phenols from Conan? I grew up a slightly older vial on a stir plate at about 70 F ambient temperature. The yeast seems to have propped up nicely, but I definitely get a Belgian nose from the finished starter. It would make sense, with some people guessing that the strain is a Saison or other Belgian strain. Just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Well, at 2 days 20 hrs I began to see unmistakable signs of yeast collection at the bottom of my flask. I went to the gym and 90 minutes later there was a solid dusting on the bottom. 20 minutes later than that, it covered the entire bottom of the flask!

I guess I'll wait to step it up until I have a solid centimeter thick slurry of yeast.

Conan lives!

Okay.

DIPA went from 1.082 to 1.016, and it's done. I kegged it and I'm dry hopping it.

Appears that I by chance might have an older strain, and as they get older, they get less active obviously.

That is apparent attenuation of 80.5% though, so... could have been just the size of the beer I reckon, that and all the carapils and crystal/honey malts.

Anyone else getting Belgian phenols from Conan? I grew up a slightly older vial on a stir plate at about 70 F ambient temperature. The yeast seems to have propped up nicely, but I definitely get a Belgian nose from the finished starter. It would make sense, with some people guessing that the strain is a Saison or other Belgian strain. Just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Yup.. Belgian phenols are there. Almost... clove spice like in there.

I can slightly smell it in the beer when I pop open the fermenter, but I can't taste it.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I guess the key is pitching cool enough to minimizing the phenols but not so cold that you don't get the fruity esters.

Yup.. Belgian phenols are there. Almost... clove spice like in there.

I can slightly smell it in the beer when I pop open the fermenter, but I can't taste it.

speaking of the belgian characteristics of this yeast: has anyone fermented conan warm? say pitch at 66, hold there for 36 hours, the let it rise to the upper 70's (or higher)?

i'm currently growing up some HT dregs. it'll be a while, but if no one else tries this i will pitch some conan into a 1 gallon jug and ferment a la belgian (i.e. warm).

In Mitch Stelle's IPA book, the El Jeffe (dark IPA) recipe from The Alchemist mentions fermenting at 68F for 3 days then raising to 72F. Using it at 66F (slightly cooler to make up for the lack of pressure provided by a large conical) seems to be the "normal" use of the yeast for the brewery. I doubt he treats the yeast differently for Heady vs. other hoppy beers. That's what I'll be shooting for in my next beer.

Most of the esters should be generated in the first 48-72 hours of a ferentaton. If you want to get the Belgian esters/phenols, you'd probably need to ferment above 68F, maybe 70F or higher. My starter was at about 70F, and it was starting to get the Belgian aromas.

speaking of the belgian characteristics of this yeast: has anyone fermented conan warm? say pitch at 66, hold there for 36 hours, the let it rise to the upper 70's (or higher)?

i'm currently growing up some HT dregs. it'll be a while, but if no one else tries this i will pitch some conan into a 1 gallon jug and ferment a la belgian (i.e. warm).

Alright. I kegged this on Monday and it has been sitting in my attic (no room in the fridge) at around 44 degrees since then.

Just pulled a half carbonated sample and holy **** is this good. I will call it Conan the Destroyer.

I have won a few local comps and have been told that i brew some good beer, but this is by far the best DIPA i have brewed.

This yeast is amazing.

Ha a sample of this when I stopped by for a beer trade and have to concur - amazing DIPA!

Since we all use this yeast differently, I think we need to go by some type of standard to better understand it. Something like this (feel free to add to this if I missed something pertinent):

OG:
FG:
Mash Temp & Time:
Mash Efficiency:
Did you use any simple sugars in the recipe (if so how much in %?):
Underpitched, Overpitched, or Pitched Appropriate Amount?:
Method of Aeration before pitching yeast:
Apparent Attenuation (in %):
Flocculation Level (low, med, high):
Fermentation Temperature (in F):
Diacetyl Rest (if yes, what temperature and how long):
Grain to Glass (in how many days):
Hop varieties used:
Total hop amount per 5 gallon batch:
Late boil & dryhop amount per 5 gallon batch:
Can you distinguish the hop flavor/aroma from the yeast flavor/aroma?:
Yeast aromas smell of:
Yeast flavors taste like:

American Wheat
OG: 1054
FG: 1010
Mash Temp & Time: 153 for 60 min
Mash Efficiency: 75
Did you use any simple sugars in the recipe (if so how much in %?): no
Underpitched, Overpitched, or Pitched Appropriate Amount?: Appropriate
Method of Aeration before pitching yeast: 02
Apparent Attenuation (in %): ~80
Flocculation Level (low, med, high): high
Fermentation Temperature (in F): 58-60 for first couple days...ramped up to mid 60's
Diacetyl Rest (if yes, what temperature and how long): 68 couple days
Grain to Glass (in how many days): 25(kegged)
Hop varieties used: amarillo
Total hop amount per 5 gallon batch: 5.25
Late boil & dryhop amount per 5 gallon batch: 4.75
Can you distinguish the hop flavor/aroma from the yeast flavor/aroma?: flavor more than aroma
Yeast aromas smell of: peach underneath with a bunch of grapefruit citrus floral, coming from amarillo
Yeast flavors taste like: peach and tropical fruits

I have made this beer many times and only once with conan, other than it being a little more dry than I wanted it was delicious and I received many rave reviews. Will make again but mash around 155

Imperial Amber

OG: 1074
FG: 1018
Mash Temp & Time: 151 for 60 min
Mash Efficiency: 75
Underpitched, Overpitched, or Pitched Appropriate Amount?: appropriate amount
Apparent Attenuation (in %):
Flocculation Level (low, med, high): high
Fermentation Temperature (in F): 58-60 for first few days, ramped to 65 over the course
Diacetyl Rest (if yes, what temperature and how long): 68, week
Grain to Glass (in how many days): not in glass yet
Hop varieties used: columbus, nugget, simcoe, chinook
Total hop amount per 5 gallon batch: 12 oz
Late boil & dryhop amount per 5 gallon batch: 11 oz
Can you distinguish the hop flavor/aroma from the yeast flavor/aroma?: will update
Yeast aromas smell of: will update
Yeast flavors taste like: will update

So, I dunno what's going on with this beer. I am about 10 days from brew day and the attenuation is only around 75%. Taste is good, a little sweeter than I was going for. If this trucks down to 14-16 I think ill be much happier. I moved this to a warmer place and am hoping it'll chew a few more points off in the next couple weeks. Otherwise I'll prolly pitch a small conan starter at krausen to see what I can get to happen. I was originally worried with a mash temp of 151 and only 5 oz of crystal that I was going to be too dry. I'll let you guys know what happens.

DIPA
OG: 1074
FG: 1012
Mash Temp & Time: 151 for 60 min
Mash Efficiency: 70
Underpitched, Overpitched, or Pitched Appropriate Amount?: Appropriate
Apparent Attenuation (in %): ~80
Flocculation Level (low, med, high): low-med (still getting some sediment)
Fermentation Temperature (in F): 62-64 and then ramped to 68
Diacetyl Rest (if yes, what temperature and how long): 68~
Grain to Glass (in how many days): 4 weeks - 1 week dry hop (4oz)
Hop varieties used: Warrior (bitter), 2/1/1/1 (Simcoe, columbus, centennial, amarillo)
Total hop amount per 5 gallon batch: 16.00
Late boil & dryhop amount per 5 gallon batch: 14oz (incl 4oz dry hop)
Can you distinguish the hop flavor/aroma from the yeast flavor/aroma?: getting all tropical flavor . aroma with a little belgian aroma / taste up front (probably from aroma)
Yeast aromas smell of: pineapple and belgian esq
Yeast flavors taste like: tropical fruits and a tiny belgian spice

So at first i got a strong hop and belgian phenol aroma.. i sampled the keg every other day and the belgian aroma and taste is fading as the yeast is drops out. Now i get mainly tropical fruit with a little belgian spice in the back.

Overall great beer. I am excited to try this yeast with something different (wit, english ipa, porter, etc..)!!

About a week ago I began a culture from a few ounces of HT following the usual protocol of adding to 250 mL of 1.02 on a stir plate. After 2 days, 20 hours I had visible yeast settling on the bottom. I stepped up to 500 mL, then 1.5L. I didn't see a ton more activity, plus my tiny 1 inch stir bar just wasn't up to the job anymore. So I crashed in the fridge for 48 hrs, but didn't get a lot more settled yeast. I decanted off, and repitched into 1L of fresh 1.04 wort, but now with a much better 2.5 inch stir bar. The yeast smelled a little vinegary.. very concerning... so I looked that up here on the board and apparently some starters can smell that way and NOT be infected.

What should I look for at this point to confirm/deny infection?

Did an all Citra IPA yesterday that's chugging at 64 as well as a Blonde ale that's just getting started at 62. Tried to pitch roughly 1 mill cells/ml wort/degree Plato for both, but surprised the 2 degree warmer IPA took off so much quicker.

Did an all Citra IPA yesterday that's chugging at 64 as well as a Blonde ale that's just getting started at 62. Tried to pitch roughly 1 mill cells/ml wort/degree Plato for both, but surprised the 2 degree warmer IPA took off so much quicker.

What method/formula do you use to estimate your cell count? I'm familiar with MrMalty, and the Wyeast web page gives some advice, but I'd like to hear what others do.

I count with a hemocytometer and microscope.

The thing here was, was that I had one starter full of yeast, and two beers of different gravities to pitch it in, thus the estimate.

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.010
Mash Temp & Time: 152° for 60min
Mash Efficiency: 75%
Did you use any simple sugars in the recipe (if so how much in %?): No
Underpitched, Overpitched, or Pitched Appropriate Amount?: Proper amount
Method of Aeration before pitching yeast: pure o2, 2 micron stone, 60sec
Apparent Attenuation (in %): 80%
Flocculation Level (low, med, high): High after cold crash
Fermentation Temperature (in F): start 62° end 68°
Diacetyl Rest (if yes, what temperature and how long): left at 68° for a week
Grain to Glass (in how many days): 14 days grain to keg
Hop varieties used: Galaxy 14.8%
Total hop amount per 5 gallon batch: 4oz
Late boil & dryhop amount per 5 gallon batch: 1oz flameout, 1oz 30min hop stand below 160°; 1.25oz dry hop
Can you distinguish the hop flavor/aroma from the yeast flavor/aroma?: not yet
Yeast aromas smell of: general aroma of mango and some pineapple - can't tell if yeast or hops yet, hydro sample
Yeast flavors taste like:

About a week ago I began a culture from a few ounces of HT following the usual protocol of adding to 250 mL of 1.02 on a stir plate. After 2 days, 20 hours I had visible yeast settling on the bottom. I stepped up to 500 mL, then 1.5L. I didn't see a ton more activity, plus my tiny 1 inch stir bar just wasn't up to the job anymore. So I crashed in the fridge for 48 hrs, but didn't get a lot more settled yeast. I decanted off, and repitched into 1L of fresh 1.04 wort, but now with a much better 2.5 inch stir bar. The yeast smelled a little vinegary.. very concerning... so I looked that up here on the board and apparently some starters can smell that way and NOT be infected.

What should I look for at this point to confirm/deny infection?
i'd be a little concerned about the vinegar smell. some yeast might throw that, but not conan. to date my starter has smelled peachy/fruity at every step. vinegar smell could be a sign of acetobacter.

anyone else here know more about starters that smell like vinegar but aren't infected?

No vinegar in mine. I get massive peach and fruit notes, even a little belgian-y clove when it's warm.

Also- I'm carbing up my DIPA. I took a taste from the top of the keg while I swapped out the dry hops. Holy. Hell. That beer is so good.

Also tossed off a bit of the cake from the DIPA in with a little pinch of US05 into a small hoppy blonde ale.. Finished it from 52 to 09. Tossing some amazingly light peach/apricot notes into the blonde. Loving it.

No vinegar in mine. I get massive peach and fruit notes, even a little belgian-y clove when it's warm.

Also- I'm carbing up my DIPA. I took a taste from the top of the keg while I swapped out the dry hops. Holy. Hell. That beer is so good.

Also tossed off a bit of the cake from the DIPA in with a little pinch of US05 into a small hoppy blonde ale.. Finished it from 52 to 09. Tossing some amazingly light peach/apricot notes into the blonde. Loving it.

Is your DIPA recipe in this thread somewhere? I looked and couldn't find it.

I decided to ditch my Conan harvest and start again from the beginning, this time with pressure-cooker sterilized gear. I will also be completely set up to freeze glycerol stabilized samples. I'm out of town next week and wouldn't have been able to brew with my Conan starter anyway.

I did taste it first, and it had a slightly acidic taste, but not all that unpleasant. It definitely did NOT have the peachy aromas that wafted from the flask in the beginning though. Since I'm a doctor I briefly thought of prescribing my wife some penicillin and adding it to the starter to see if the patient could be saved.. then I saw the case of HT sitting in my garage and came to my senses!

then I saw the case of HT sitting in my garage and came to my senses![/QUOTE said:
You have a case sitting in your garage... BASTARD! I gotta make a road trip.:p

Is your DIPA recipe in this thread somewhere? I looked and couldn't find it.

I decided to ditch my Conan harvest and start again from the beginning, this time with pressure-cooker sterilized gear. I will also be completely set up to freeze glycerol stabilized samples. I'm out of town next week and wouldn't have been able to brew with my Conan starter anyway.

I did taste it first, and it had a slightly acidic taste, but not all that unpleasant. It definitely did NOT have the peachy aromas that wafted from the flask in the beginning though. Since I'm a doctor I briefly thought of prescribing my wife some penicillin and adding it to the starter to see if the patient could be saved.. then I saw the case of HT sitting in my garage and came to my senses!

I haven't added it, I mentioned it, but didn't toss out any huge specifics.

It's the Kern River Citra DIPA. I subbed out the 2 row, and used Pearl, like HT does, and used Conan to do the dirty work instead of the average 1056 it called for. I somehow ended up with 1.082 OG, instead of 1.070 somehow, and with that my beer finished at 1.016 or 1.017 or something like that instead of 1.010.

Beer never seemed to want to 'clear' while in primary, although a cooler garage temp was enough to help it. Beer in the keg is pretty clear after a week in there though. Slightly murky.

Obviously the beer is choked full of Citra, and has Amarillo in the dryhop with Citra. Amarillo will toss some great peachy/orange notes, but there is a detectable different aroma from the yeast. I fermented mine slightly cool, at 64* I think it was. I'll have to post my notes.

My DIPA is still young, and has an aroma and citrusy/apricot/peach flavor that is unmatched by anything I've done in the past.

However, the beer is still prett murky in the keg, granted I pulled about 2 pints off to get the crap out of the bottom, and the dip tube, then took a taster in to try.

Tastes really awesome, however, I am noting a slight belgian-ish clove ester to the beer once it's down the hatch. Slight after tastes, and comes through enough I notice it, because I noticed it in my starters....

It's faint for sure, but I know others have noted this as well.

My DIPA is still young, and has an aroma and citrusy/apricot/peach flavor that is unmatched by anything I've done in the past.

However, the beer is still prett murky in the keg, granted I pulled about 2 pints off to get the crap out of the bottom, and the dip tube, then took a taster in to try.

Tastes really awesome, however, I am noting a slight belgian-ish clove ester to the beer once it's down the hatch. Slight after tastes, and comes through enough I notice it, because I noticed it in my starters....

It's faint for sure, but I know others have noted this as well.

+1 on the Belgian ester. I noticed it in the aroma as well with my Dipa.

Back