Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chocolate PB Anniversary Beer

Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
mattmeiske12
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Chocolate PB Anniversary Beer

I was trying to think of something to do for a gift to celebrate my 1 year anniversary with my GF. What else is better than BREWING A BEER!

I let her pick the type of beer she wanted to do and she decided on a Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout. I took a couple different recipes with different methods for achieving the Chocolate PB and meshed them together to come up with my own. If anyone would like to see what I used, I'll post it.

We bottled it this week after it sat a week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary on chocolate. Initial thoughts after tasting it were very good: it has a great chocolate aroma, a nice silky stout mouthfeel to it and you get a nice PB cookie on the back end. We will wait to see how it gets after carbing up.

I hate seeing when fellow HBT'ers get scolded by their significant others for our great hobby. I thought I would share my feel-good story and I'm one lucky guy to know my GF not only could care less about all the money I blow on homebrewing, but will join in on the fun too.

Cheers everybody!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	357
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	107865   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	107866   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpg
Views:	341
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	107867   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (4).jpg
Views:	346
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	107868  
Bottled: Harvest Ale, Mojito Pale Ale (Lime and Punishmint), French Saison (w/Brett), Nugget Nectar Clone, Chocolate PB Stout, Hot Chocolate (Chocolate Chili Stout), Kobe (Chocolate Oak Yeti Clone), Defendant (Black IPA)
On Deck: Cinnamon Raisin Strong Ale

GREEN ACRES BREWING
Allentown, PA

Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 35

nice!

i'm interested in the recipe. I brewed a cpb stout and plan to do another one soon...(trying to get close to big gruesome...if you've had that).

Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
mattmeiske12
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Big gruesome is her favorite beer haha. I love it too. The place by us has actually has on tap all the time (or people don't drink enough of it). I'll post the recipe then.
Bottled: Harvest Ale, Mojito Pale Ale (Lime and Punishmint), French Saison (w/Brett), Nugget Nectar Clone, Chocolate PB Stout, Hot Chocolate (Chocolate Chili Stout), Kobe (Chocolate Oak Yeti Clone), Defendant (Black IPA)

GREEN ACRES BREWING
Allentown, PA

Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
mattmeiske12
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Peanut Butter Stout

Mash Length (min): 60
Boil Length (min): 60
Boil Volume (gal): 7.0
Target Volume (gal): 5.5
Target OG: 1.056
Target FG: 1.016
Actual OG: 1.052
Actual FG: 1.012

Fermentables

American 2-row Pale: 9 # - 78%
Chocolate Malt: 1 # - 9%
Flaked Oats: 1 # - 9%
Black Patent Malt: 8 oz - 4%
1 box of Reece's PB Puffs

Hops

Nugget: 1 oz - 60 min
Nugget: 1 oz - 10 min

Mash

Mash w/ 4 gal @ 154 for 60 mins. Batch sparge with 4 gal @ 168.

Boil

Add 1 # of crushed peanuts to boil @ 45 mins.

Yeast: Wyeast American Ale 1056

I thought that maybe between mashing with the cereal and adding the peanuts to the boil, it would add a nutty body to it. I think I achieved that from what I can tell so far. I know I'll probably lose head retention from the oils of the peanuts, but oh well.

It was my first time building a recipe, so if anybody had any thoughts or comments on it, I'd appreciate it.

GREEN ACRES BREWING
Allentown, PA

Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
christler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

How did this turn out?

Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
mattmeiske12
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The recipe turned out fairly well for my first recipe creation. It came out tasting very much like a peanut butter cookie, has a silky smooth mouthfeel and very much what I would consider a "sessionable" flavorful stout.

Some things I would tweak from the original recipe would be:

- I let it sit on chocolate for 2 weeks in secondary (noticed I did not add that to the recipe originally). The chocolate kinda got lost in the beer, so I would consider adding cocoa nibs to the boil for next time.
- I did lose head retention very quickly, so I'm thinking that de-oiling peanut butter may be a better way to go for next time. I have also read you can get peanut butter powder, but that doesn't seem easy to come by.

I hit target on everything spot on, so all of those numbers are accurate. I think the cereal was a very high contributing factor to the nutty/cookie flavor that I was getting.

GREEN ACRES BREWING
Allentown, PA

Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
christler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Nice! I tried a peanut butter porter that didn't work so well. I think i'm going to have to try it with the cereal and see how that goes. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #8
danielofthedale
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

My girlfriend enjoys craft beer too, we try to hit up a brewery at least once a month. She wants to help me brew a batch and I told her to pick a beer and she also wants to do a chocolate peanut butter porter/stout. So I will have look over the recipient for this one.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 35

my last attempt came out great...

used 2 lbs of PB2 (1 in the boil, 1 in secondary) and some of this flavoring in the keg: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LorAnn-Oils-...item2c678e372c

Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
mattmeiske12
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom
my last attempt came out great...

used 2 lbs of PB2 (1 in the boil, 1 in secondary) and some of this flavoring in the keg: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LorAnn-Oils-...item2c678e372c
These worked well? Seems like you can do a lot of things with a bunch of different flavors they have.

GREEN ACRES BREWING
Allentown, PA