Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Tartness in Saisons

Old 03-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
KuntzBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Default Tartness in Saisons

What causes the tartness of a Saison/farmhouse ale? Which kind of Brett is best for this? I like the tartness but not the barnyardiness of like a lambic. Also doesn't this take a few years to develop tartness?

Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntzBrewing
What causes the tartness of a Saison/farmhouse ale? Which kind of Brett is best for this? I like the tartness but not the barnyardiness of like a lambic. Also doesn't this take a few years to develop tartness?
From what I understand, one way to get the tartness is to lower your wort pH below the "normal" range. I think it was finished wort pH of less than 4.0 but I can't remember. Hopefully somebody else with more experience can chime in.

[EDIT] Found you a link with some info. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/acid...on-why-309441/

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
kmos

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

This question would really be better placed in the Lambic/Wild forum.

I have limited experience in sours, but from what I gather: Barnyardiness comes from Brett. If you want tartness (like what you get from a Berlinerweiss), you want to focus on Lacto/Pedio.

As for timing, the tartness can come on quickly or slowly; either way, it will develop over the course of months and years. Sour and funky beers are an investment, and not for the impatient. Plan on a year minimum.

For reference, Wild Ales and the Mad Fermentationist blog are both indispensable for embracing the funk.

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1409 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Occasionally you'll get people fermenting saisons with a bit of lactic bacteria, but generally speaking it's just a very simple grain bill with a distinctive yeast. If you get the thing bone dry and estery, I can see how that might be perceived as tartness..

Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I planned on pitching wyeast 3724 with a mix of jolly pumpkin sludge from Bam Bičre and Fuego del Ontoņo (750ml bottles) I may put some acid malt with mainly pilsner and a little wheat and bitter it to 25 ibu