Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Best red malt

Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Best red malt

I'm doing an all Citra IPA and want it to have a nice deep red to it. Like with food I think you eat with your eyes first and the red color will set your palate for the nice pink grapefruit and tropical pop that's so awesome about Citra. I can use the SRM estimate for quantity but am wondering if I'd be better off with Cara-Red or just a smaller amount of crystal 60? Which would have more of a true red color?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 193

2 oz of Roasted Barley for a 5 gal batch works beautifully.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 72

CaraRed isn't even really that red. It's a type of Crystal 20, which is quite on the pale side. Don't go by the name of things. Instead, research them. Citra isn't that citrusy either in case you were wondering.

Go with something like 2 oz. chocolate malt or debittered black malt. These malts can be used as a color adjustment with no flavor contributions if used in low percentages.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
CaraRed isn't even really that red. It's a type of Crystal 20, which is quite on the pale side. Don't go by the name of things. Instead, research them. Citra isn't that citrusy either in case you were wondering.

Go with something like 2 oz. chocolate malt or debittered black malt. These malts can be used as a color adjustment with no flavor contributions if used in low percentages.
Good points. I'm not a fan of Citra, but I certainly like me some citrusy hops.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Demus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post

I kinda thought that's what I was doing, thanks! Wouldn't the choclate or black malt darken it on the brown side of the spectrum rather than red? I've seen red as a descriptor of many crystal malts, the point of my post was to find out which is the red-est...

I wasn't wondering about Citra, I've used it many times and love it...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
Wouldn't the choclate or black malt darken it on the brown side of the spectrum rather than red?
No, since you're not using so much of it where it would turn brown.

Don't think of the darker malts as adding yellows, browns, reds, blacks. Think of them as adjusting the SRM. Some of them do this rather slightly... others not so much.

CaraAroma is rather red to begin with, but if you use 12% of it in a hoppy beer, you will have a sweet mess on your hands. Alternately, 2% chocolate malt might get you to the same SRM with no noticeable flavor contributions.
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	107628  

Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I've researched this a bit and although opinions differ the majority say that roasted barley is the best way get red color (without using beets or food coloring). The BJCP style guidelines also mention RB as the source for the Irish Red's color. I made an Irish Red with 8 oz. CaraRed, 8 oz. Caramel 60L, and 3 oz. Roasted Barley (Briess, 300L) per 5Gal and it has a beautiful red color.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
Demus
Recipes 

Good info, thanks guys. I see your point about SRM, I just thought some malts might darken more brownish on their way to black, others more red...