Spike Brewing Giveaway - New v3 Kettle

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Tried all grain...but too much sediment?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
brewkinger
AdirondacKinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 310 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 318

I do have other questions.

If I am reading this correctly, you pick up your mash cooler with all the grain in it and dump it through a bag setup to get your wort?

I agree with the "invest in a ball valve setup for the mash tun and your larger boil kettle (10 or more gallon if you are doing 5 gallon batches)

It makes the job so much easier and efficient. Picking up kettles and coolers is inviting a mess and burn trauma.

PRIMARY: No-Luc Lodge Jaeger-Brew
PRIMARY:
BOTTLED: Razapple Wine- Vintage 2014
BOTTLED:
KEGGED: Cascade Session Pale Ale
PLANNING:
PLANNING:
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #12
PeteNMA
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd say definitely use whirlfloc or irish moss in the kettle, and also definitely be careful when siphoning off your wort. I reckon I probably siphoned 95% of my break from my last brew because I just dropped the autosiphon in the kettle and let it do it's thing.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
srpratt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got it. Here are my take- aways:

- install a valve on my mash cooler so that I don't kill myself.
- if wort is cloudy, transfer it to a pitcher and then return to the cooler to wait until it becomes clear runnings.
- use paint strainer bags to get more of the sediment during the BK to fermenter transfer
- hops are done after the boil (unless I drop in the secondary.). So filtering will help make it clearer.

Remaining Questions:

- I pour from my BK to my fermenter (I haven't reach the level of getting a kettle w/ a valve...that sounds like a pricey investment.) it seems to work well if the solids have settled. Would whirl pooling the solution actually hurt this more than help?

Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6984 Times on 4952 Posts
Likes Given: 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpratt View Post
Got it. Here are my take- aways:

- install a valve on my mash cooler so that I don't kill myself.
- if wort is cloudy, transfer it to a pitcher and then return to the cooler to wait until it becomes clear runnings.
- use paint strainer bags to get more of the sediment during the BK to fermenter transfer
- hops are done after the boil (unless I drop in the secondary.). So filtering will help make it clearer.

Remaining Questions:

- I pour from my BK to my fermenter (I haven't reach the level of getting a kettle w/ a valve...that sounds like a pricey investment.) it seems to work well if the solids have settled. Would whirl pooling the solution actually hurt this more than help?
Whirlpooling won't help- so might as well not bother. You could just let the kettle sit for 10 minutes after chilling, and then pour it as much of the heavy stuff will be on the bottom.

What do you ferment in? If you ferment in buckets, you can line the bucket with a sanitized mesh bag, pour all the wort in and just lift out the mesh bag to get out some of the stuff.

Or, like me, you can not bother straining at all, as it'll all settle out in the bottom anyway.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 59

+1 to not straining and just racking off the trub into the bottling bucket.