Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #71
LowNotes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckiesRevenge View Post
I must say Marcus, thanks for starting this thread. It has been a treat to read with all the passion, rage, and sarcasm that came about. Also please let us known how it turns out. I'm fascinated to see what you think and what the results will be.
Hehe, no kidding!

FWH = Serious Business!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #72
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All I know from reading this is that Yoopers whatever-you-call-it sounds amazing.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #73
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 265

That was an entertaining 8 pages. I get most of my science on hops from Oregon State University, which has an amazing beer research program and Professor Shellhammer, who does a ton of research on hops. Shellhammer tested the idea that it is polyphenols in the hops that caused harshness. He found a "significant" perception of harsh bitterness and astringency in beer due to polyphenols. He found it also increased the the bitterness to linger longer.

This bit is from other research on polyphenols that I will apply to first wort hopping. Believe at your own risk, I don't have the time to piece together all the sources right now.

First wort hopping oxidizes the polyphenols in the hops which allows the polyphenols (makes it a harsh, astringent bitterness) to readily complex out. These compounds are then removed with a nice hot break, thus giving us more iso-acids and less polyphenols. Higher IBUs with less harshness. Bittering hops added after the hot break release polyphenols that are not as readily oxidized and are less soluble in the wort.

Wasn't it Yooper posting about being a big fan of strong, healthy hot breaks? Her hot break obsession combined with a FWH could be providing her beers with significant IBU contributions without much harshness and leaving a smooth, uniform bitterness.

On a side note, Miller owns a patent on a process described as "Method of preparing a full hop flavoured beverage of low bitterness". It patents the method of preparing light stable, hop flavoured, fermented beverages that possess less bitterness, yet have comparable hop flavour to a fermented beverage prepared with whole hops with the use of a high polyphenol hop flavouring residue that originates from a solid spent-hop material resultant from super-critical CO2 extraction of whole hops.
People Like This 
Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #74
mmb
FFS, really?

Recipes 

Liked 3413 Times on 3289 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
On a side note, Miller owns a patent on a process described as "Method of preparing a full hop flavoured beverage of low bitterness". It patents the method of preparing light stable, hop flavoured, fermented beverages that possess less bitterness, yet have comparable hop flavour to a fermented beverage prepared with whole hops with the use of a high polyphenol hop flavouring residue that originates from a solid spent-hop material resultant from super-critical CO2 extraction of whole hops.
That sounds really interesting. Miller should release a beer that uses the process. Full hop flavored would be nice.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #75
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
That sounds really interesting. Miller should release a beer that uses the process. Full hop flavored would be nice.
They do, any beer in clear glass bottles has this hop extract in it. Not sure they don't use it in everything else too.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #76
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3389 Times on 3269 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
They do, any beer in clear glass bottles has this hop extract in it. Not sure they don't use it in everything else too.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #77
Whut
Mmmm, beer.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1742 Times on 1619 Posts
Likes Given: 8721

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Ha!

May Whut see him safely through the Pearly Gates half an hour before Crash knows he's dead. - hunter_la5

it's certainly possible I am mistaken - Randar

Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #78
The_Dog_42

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I hope you made that by hand and scanned it in, just for this occasion.

Wait...what...what is goo-gle?
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #79
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6249 Times on 4453 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

Quote:

Wasn't it Yooper posting about being a big fan of strong, healthy hot breaks? Her hot break obsession combined with a FWH could be providing her beers with significant IBU contributions without much harshness and leaving a smooth, uniform bitterness.
"Obsession" with hot break? Me?

But I do think you are really on to something there.

I did this just yesterday- FWH with 1.5 ounces of hops (10 gallon batch, fly sparge so the FWH sat in 170 degree wort for almost an hour before boiling), then tons of late hops.

IBUs calculate pretty high, but I've made this beer about 50 times and it's not harshly bitter. It's got enough bittering to balance the malts for sure, and it's firmly bitter on the tongue, but it's not a lingering harshness. Instead, the bitterness is there but immediately the hops flavors and aromas take center stage.

Thanks for the info on the polyphenols. I'm not any sort of expert, and appreciate input from others. The only time I've really thought about polyphenols is when I'm lagering. One of the purposes of lagering near freezing is to "drop out polyphenols", as a German lager should be bitter without harshness as well.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
theveganbrewer Likes This 
Old 03-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #80
billl
Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just my 2 cents, but FWH = meh... I'm usually using a fairly smooth bittering hop to begin with and loading up on late addition hops. Any difference from the technique seems to be lost in the mix.

FWH is a pretty old technique that seems to have come back into style. It was developed before any of the modern high AA% hops though. I suspect that if I was bittering with 4oz of EKG instead of 1oz of magnum or warrior, FWH would make a more substantial difference.