Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Nanobrewery..Road to failure

Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVANTAN View Post
Bowing down to these ridiculous laws is tantamount to endorsing them. Brew away and sell whatever you want just be careful about to whom and whatever fine you have to pay will certainly be less than the costs of compliance. I have seen brokers steal a quarter million dollars from their clients and get a $20,000 fine for it. Our laws are oppressive but in shear quantity unenforceable. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus and you have the same right to ignore unjust laws. What jury will convict you? Everyone in this country feels this way.
Yeah! This is the same philosophy that coke and meth slingers follow, and you never see them getting busted!

Kegged: empty :(

Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Bowing down to these ridiculous laws is tantamount to endorsing them. Brew away and sell whatever you want just be careful about to whom and whatever fine you have to pay will certainly be less than the costs of compliance. I have seen brokers steal a quarter million dollars from their clients and get a $20,000 fine for it. Our laws are oppressive but in shear quantity unenforceable. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus and you have the same right to ignore unjust laws. What jury will convict you? Everyone in this country feels this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty View Post
What the heck are you talking about? This is terrible advice. The difficulty of starting a successful business has far less than to do with unjust laws than it has to do with the fact that succeeding in a capitalist system is MEANT to be hard work, and many are going to fail as a result. If OP wants to start a business with every fiber of his being, he should, and if he works hard, and is smart about his business steps, he can make it. He shouldn't risk his enterprise violating laws, and even if he did, in no way is it comparable to Rosa Parks.
I couldn't agree more. This is horrible advice.

This is especially irresponsible advice for a brewer. If you are caught ignoring laws, you will not just 'pay a fine that is less than the cost of compliance'. You will lose your business in totality. They will prohibit you from ever brewing for distribution again. Ever.

For the love of all that is fermented and foamy - ignore this Jackass!

People Like This 
Old 03-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
I don't agree with you. But you bring up a very valid point.....enforcing homebrewing laws are so far down the priority list for any agency mainly due to the sheer number of laws that are supposed to be enforced. There are people who would argue that that is not the case....but still can't find any evidence of that. It reminds me of law that a local city is putting through regarding outside lightbulbs. You can be fined for not installing the right kind of lightbulb on your front porch!! Of course the city council freely admits that they don't have any money to actually enforce this law. Their feeling is that most people will follow the law...just because it's the law and the "problem" will be solved.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

The main ingredients in starting any business are:
1) Experience in related field
2) A desirable product or service
3) CASH FLOW/CAPITAL
4) Marketing
5) And in your case, location.

You can create variable operating costs and run lean by starting a nano but I highly recommend more than 6mos salary be set aside if this is to be sole source of income. You can do anything with the proper planning. Following a dream is better than following a nightmare. Good luck with your dream. Oh, and food for thought, it's real difficult to manage a biz and normalcy in your family life.
mjdonnelly68 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 246

What I want to do (not like it's going to happen) is have a Pub with food and brew on site just for the bar. That way all the money I've spent on brewing will not go to waist. I can still do craft beer and change what I'm making all the time. In some states I think they let bars brew on site?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #26
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling
What I want to do (not like it's going to happen) is have a Pub with food and brew on site just for the bar. That way all the money I've spent on brewing will not go to waist. I can still do craft beer and change what I'm making all the time. In some states I think they let bars brew on site?
Read Sam Calagione's brewing up a business. That's how he started dogfish head but mind you he had at least 100k in investment from friends & family.

Do you have any experience running a restaurant?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #27
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post

I don't agree with you. But you bring up a very valid point.....enforcing homebrewing laws are so far down the priority list for any agency mainly due to the sheer number of laws that are supposed to be enforced. There are people who would argue that that is not the case....but still can't find any evidence of that. It reminds me of law that a local city is putting through regarding outside lightbulbs. You can be fined for not installing the right kind of lightbulb on your front porch!! Of course the city council freely admits that they don't have any money to actually enforce this law. Their feeling is that most people will follow the law...just because it's the law and the "problem" will be solved.
The problem is that once you sell a beer you stop being a "homebrewer" and are then subject to the rules and regulations of the Department of Health and Sanitation, whose very purpose of existence is to travel around and enforce their codes.
Kegged: empty :(

Old 03-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
Token
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty View Post
What the heck are you talking about? This is terrible advice. The difficulty of starting a successful business has far less than to do with unjust laws than it has to do with the fact that succeeding in a capitalist system is MEANT to be hard work, and many are going to fail as a result. If OP wants to start a business with every fiber of his being, he should, and if he works hard, and is smart about his business steps, he can make it. He shouldn't risk his enterprise violating laws, and even if he did, in no way is it comparable to Rosa Parks.
Dang. And here I was all set to fire up Rosa Parks Brewing! dang....

Old 03-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1709 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyKettleBrewing
The main ingredients in starting any business are:
1) Experience in related field
2) A desirable product or service
3) CASH FLOW/CAPITAL
4) Marketing
5) And in your case, location.

You can create variable operating costs and run lean by starting a nano but I highly recommend more than 6mos salary be set aside if this is to be sole source of income. You can do anything with the proper planning. Following a dream is better than following a nightmare. Good luck with your dream. Oh, and food for thought, it's real difficult to manage a biz and normalcy in your family life.
Don't forget procurement and distribution. Without those you have no product. Easy to look past

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #30
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Do they have homebrewtalk in the prison computer lab?