Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Nanobrewery..Road to failure

Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #101
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Would brewing sours help at all? You could sell for more money and with aging have a big pipeline.
Sours have an extremely limited market, and aging is actually the problem, not an advantage. They take months to be drinkable and years plus to be great. You'd have to have dozens of fermenters on the nano scale and build up a year long pipeline, more akin to aged whiskey makers (think 12yo scotch). Other more conventional beers turn around in two weeks.

Plus, go find the most expensive beer at your local craft shop. Dollars to donuts it's not a sour- they don't command high prices like big Belgians and crazy IPAs. Also, nobody buys sours. Just weirdos like us.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #102
hopstupid
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Sours have an extremely limited market, and aging is actually the problem, not an advantage. They take months to be drinkable and years plus to be great. You'd have to have dozens of fermenters on the nano scale and build up a year long pipeline, more akin to aged whiskey makers (think 12yo scotch). Other more conventional beers turn around in two weeks.

Plus, go find the most expensive beer at your local craft shop. Dollars to donuts it's not a sour- they don't command high prices like big Belgians and crazy IPAs. Also, nobody buys sours. Just weirdos like us.
cascade sours are 20 bucks a bottle

http://shop.cascadebrewingbarrelhous...4&categoryId=2

well worth it they sell a ton online

Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #103
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopstupid View Post
cascade sours are 20 bucks a bottle

http://shop.cascadebrewingbarrelhous...4&categoryId=2

well worth it they sell a ton online
Cascade started out as the Raccoon Lodge and it was a long time before they started brewing sours. Not sure if they turn much profit, but Art Larrance started Portland Brewing too, and owns the Oregon Brewer's Festival so he's got other revenue streams. I doubt somebody could start a nano or brewpub as a sour beer brewery for the reasons mentioned.
I love their sours, and I'm a beer geek too, but I won't pay $20-$30 a bottle for their beers. I just drink them at the barrel house.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #104
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post

I would agree that the sour market is pretty limited. However it would be something that distinguishes a brewery from others.....assuming your sour beers are outrageously good. I think the key to operating a successful brewery(any size) is to create an experience for your customers. This is where it can be hard for a nano to be successful....most nano's I follow have a little brewery/tasting room in some industrial park. Doesn't exactly ooze charm My city zoning laws are the same way...a brewery(not a brewpub) had to be located in the industrial part of town since it is considered light manufacturing.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #105
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Meh, I think the folks who frequent the nano scene really dig the industrial vibe. It's neat to set your pint down on a mash tun or FV. It's like being part of the process- a real cool way to be connected to the beer you drink. Definitely not for everyone- let me say that my parents and parents-in-law totally do not get it, but understand it's what people are doing now and have seen how crowded these places get, so they're supportive.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #106
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 53 Posts

Except for some places you can't serve or consume the beer in the same area it's brewed. You have to have a separate tap room away from the brewery.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #107
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morticus View Post
Except for some places you can't serve or consume the beer in the same area it's brewed. You have to have a separate tap room away from the brewery.
Yea, that really wouldn't work for us. Being able to sell at retail in our brewery is key.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #108
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin
Depends on the location. There was a place here in town making good beer but it was all contracted. San Diego is a pretty beer snobby town and I think once folks figured out it wasn't being made here, and the only SD location was just an office, sales tanked. Otherwise, it's a pretty safe and inexpensive way to make beer. Thinner margins, but capital expenses are almost nil.
Who was that?

Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #109
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That would be Airdale.