Belgian Dubbel Belgian dubbel, 1st place DMC comp, 42/50 points

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wy3787
Yeast Starter
2l
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
nice beer, no major flows, some alcohol heat ect
this beer did very well in drunk monk challenge competition (big comp with 850 entries, 1st in BD and BDS category with 42 points but didnt place in BOS) so i thought i would share the recipe

Type: All Grain Date: 10/5/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.68 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My 10gal
End of Boil Volume 12.48 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 11.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 81.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 42.0
Taste Notes:
nice beer!, consider recipe adjustments, perhaps less sugar to reduce alcohol warmth. Nice complexity, easy drinking beer. Could easily get in to trouble drinking this beer!

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
26 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.9 %
2 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.5 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.6 %

1.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 8.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 7.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 3.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) [124.21 ml] Yeast 9 -
2 lbs Sugar, homemade dark amber at 290F

mashed at 148F for 1h, sugar added in the fermenter at day 2 of fermentation.
This is the 2nd time i did this recipe and its a little different than the first time. This is excellent beer but prefer the first version and from the judges notes its possible that they would also prefer the 1st one so here are some notes on changes i made
1st version was mashed at 152F, i used 2row instead of pilsner malt and got lower efficiency and attenuation at the end (og 1.077 fg 1.011) this resulted in 9%abv and maltier character that i preferred

im thinking about brewing this again and changing recipe a little (cut pilsner to 21lb, sugar to 1.75lb and add 2lb of munich) to decrease alcohol and boost malt flavors a little bit

Love the sound of this, but like a slightly maltier beer. Think I will try it this weekend with Lager malt as I have that to hand, and the added munich as I also have a bunch of that.

WHat temps did you ferment at with that yeast?

Im guessing that lager malt is the same as pilsner so yes in this case adding munich malt could be nice, i want to try that as well, if you do that please report back with results. I did split batch where one carboy was fermented with wyeast 3787 and other with 1214 strain, i liked 3787 more so i sent this one for the competition, ferm schedule was 64F for 2 days then rise to 72 over 5 days kept at 72 for 2 week and increased to 78 till finish but i wouldnt look at days and more at whats going on in the carboy as this could be little different in your case

I think I'm gonna take a crack at this in a 5 gallon batch as a BIAB. I'm not set up for 3 vessel yet but I gotta make this beer.

OK,
I made this several months ago with DIY candi syrup, link and syrup directions below.

My has this incredible perfume-rose smell and tastes wonderful, have been thinking of submitting for comps.

Great job Polboy- hope your still brewing!

http://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.ca/2013/09/making-belgian-candi-sugar.html

to make it syrup I added these steps:
For Candy Syrup
Raise syrup to the terminal temperature of 290F. At 290F begin stirring and add in:
1 Cup Water
Continue stirring until the sugars are dissolved. Again, bring the solution up to 290F over medium heat. At 290F begin stirring and add in:
1 Cup of Water
Stir this until the sugars are dissolved and the temperature starts to rise a couple degrees. This Should be right at or just above soft ball (240F).
This is when the syrup is done. Stop the cooking by submerging the pan in cool water or by transferring the syrup to a*preheated*mason jar.

dbals

Made 2.5 gallons yesterday. My efficiency came out a little low (I'm using BIAB) but OG was 1064 without adding the sugar. As per the recipe, I'll add it in a couple of days. Overall, very happy with color, smell and taste of pre-boil wort.

This is my first all grain brew also.

I did opt to use Safbrew's new Abbaye yeast.

Overall quite pleased, I'll report back in a couple of weeks with end results.

This beer has been on the shelf since I brewed it in December. I think it's finally coming to a place where I can drink it. It was harsh at first but now it's awesome. I'm gonna have to throw a couple more in the fridge before bed so I have some to look forward to.

heh, just brew 11 gal of this last night, i did some modification to the original recipe last year and i wasnt crazy about results so this time is back to original recipe, making inverted sugar tomorrow :). Dbals, thanks for the link, this is what i was looking for :)

I brewed this recipe last year and its one of the best beers I've ever made. Tweaked some stuff this year and its good, but not as good as the original. Thanks for this recipe. It has given me a fantastic starting point to explore one of my favorite styles

Back