Game of Thrones Mead - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Game of Thrones Mead

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #51
USMC6590
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 2

Wouldn't Lemons be a better citrus for Dornish Meads? Since they are known for using lemons with most of their recipes?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #52
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TheWeeb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,125
Liked 120 Times on 77 Posts


this is what I decided on. 10 pounds of locally sourced raw honey, six jumbo jalapeno peppers, three pounds of dates. I think that the dates would be grown along the south west coastal area of Essos, perhaps the peppers further inland where it is more arid. Honey, well, the bees are pretty much everywhere...

Edit: Smell of hot peppers and honey dates is intoxicating, and the yeasties have not yet begun to do their thing. OG 1.104.
Click image for larger version

Name:	mead for got.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	109965  
__________________
____________
"I would Rather Have a Keg of Delirium Tremens than a Case of It"

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #53
waxer
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 38
Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts


Im being boring and have a Joam on from the 1st and just put on a joes quick grape. I have dragonfruit coming next week but what to make that could be drinkable in time.
Was thinking a joes quick grape using white welsh's grape juice and add the dragon fruit as secondary?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #54
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 654
Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
Okay guys, just completed my brew.

To recap, this is "Dragon Horn Melomel"

-Dragonfruit
-Horn Melon
-15 lbs. clover honey
-Distilled water
-Frozen Raspberries
-Blueberry Fruit Juice
-WYeast 4184 - Sweet Mead

The fruit was all frozen prior to being used.

OG = 1.105 (unadjusted, @72 degrees)
Looks amazing. Glad to see someone took my idea from the other thread and ran with it. I hope it turns out amazing.

I plan on making a dragon fruit mead at some point. Money being an issue right now I have thrown it on the back burner. When it does get made it will be either a pure dragon fruit melomel or a dragon fruit/passion fruit combo.
I was also going to use either tupelo or meadowfoam honey.
__________________
Primary: cabernet sauvignon, El dorado pale
Seconday: Golding abbey, Flanders Red, Cocoa IPA, S.C.A. IPA
Bottled: Golding kolsch, Raspberry Mead, Berlinner Weisse, Caliente Pale ale, Amarillo/Citra wheat
Kegged empty

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #55
Sollozzo
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Syracuse, New York
Posts: 51
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOChampBrew View Post
Looks amazing. Glad to see someone took my idea from the other thread and ran with it. I hope it turns out amazing.

I plan on making a dragon fruit mead at some point. Money being an issue right now I have thrown it on the back burner. When it does get made it will be either a pure dragon fruit melomel or a dragon fruit/passion fruit combo.
I was also going to use either tupelo or meadowfoam honey.
It sounds like a great idea but I'm having issues with mine. I used a WYeast Accelerator Pack, which swelled within an hour, so I'm thinking the yeast was healthy. But for some reason there was never a vigorous fermentation period within 72 hours, and it's only bubbling once every 25 seconds or so. I'm thinking the pH might be an issue, but I don't have any strips or anything to test with. Any idea what else could be causing this?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #56
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 654
Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

It sounds like a great idea but I'm having issues with mine. I used a WYeast Accelerator Pack, which swelled within an hour, so I'm thinking the yeast was healthy. But for some reason there was never a vigorous fermentation period within 72 hours, and it's only bubbling once every 25 seconds or so. I'm thinking the pH might be an issue, but I don't have any strips or anything to test with. Any idea what else could be causing this?
Feed it nutrients.
__________________
Primary: cabernet sauvignon, El dorado pale
Seconday: Golding abbey, Flanders Red, Cocoa IPA, S.C.A. IPA
Bottled: Golding kolsch, Raspberry Mead, Berlinner Weisse, Caliente Pale ale, Amarillo/Citra wheat
Kegged empty

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #57
MisterZ
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Posts: 45
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOChampBrew

Feed it nutrients.
And when you feed it, do it in a sink or tub. Did this for the first time recently, and it generated a -LOT- of foam very quickly, and well, that area tug needed washing anyway.
__________________
"Sure I like children...If they're cooked properly" - W.C. Fields

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #58
waxer
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 38
Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts


I should be off to the local dragon fruit farm/orchard(whatever you call it) tonight. See how much they are willing to give in return for some finished product. I was thinking of adding rewarewa honey.
Is the dragon fruit to subtle to do a straight batch. I see the recipe above has raspberries/blueberry etc as well but I was just afraid they might overpower it.
Do you think it would go ok trying a batch of JOAM with 2 to 4 instead of orange as well. Maybe add some more when fermentation stops to give a boost in flavour?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #59
MarshmallowBlue
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Bethlehem, NH
Posts: 1,822
Liked 247 Times on 191 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZ View Post
And when you feed it, do it in a sink or tub. Did this for the first time recently, and it generated a -LOT- of foam very quickly, and well, that area tug needed washing anyway.
Did you add the nutrients dry, or dissolve them first? There will be much less foam if dissolved first.
__________________
Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made, I stopped counting.
My Home Brew Blog
If you would like to write for HBT, shoot me a PM!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #60
Halbrust
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Posts: 710
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by waxer View Post
I should be off to the local dragon fruit farm/orchard(whatever you call it) tonight. See how much they are willing to give in return for some finished product. I was thinking of adding rewarewa honey.
Is the dragon fruit to subtle to do a straight batch. I see the recipe above has raspberries/blueberry etc as well but I was just afraid they might overpower it.
Do you think it would go ok trying a batch of JOAM with 2 to 4 instead of orange as well. Maybe add some more when fermentation stops to give a boost in flavour?
I don't think the dragon fruit and the cloves would meld the way cloves and oranges do.
I do think that dragon fruit would need to be added in secondary to retain their flavor.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
...it's fine if it's fermenting.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Game of Thrones Wicked_Magik General Chit Chat 191 06-27-2014 02:22 PM
Game of Thrones Beer. CatHead General Beer Discussion 4 02-11-2014 09:09 AM
Game of Thrones Beer: Has to be something better than a blonde ale? inhousebrew General Chit Chat 13 03-28-2013 04:59 AM
Game of Thrones Fan? Rich? KingBrianI General Chit Chat 3 10-17-2012 04:26 PM


Forum Jump