Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Help with modifying kegerator

Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
scorpionc53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with modifying kegerator

My groomsman all bought me a Frosty Keg Kegerator from Great Northern Popcorn Company a year ago. After only 9 months, the seals went bad on the included CO2 tank and I didn’t know what to do. My brother who’s going to be graduating from college offered me his 20 lb tank and I had to accept it for a couple 12 packs! I’d like to modify my kegerator to work with this beast of a CO2 tank. I have all the lines necessary and have the regulator that he had on it originally. Here’s the questions I have:

- First, has anyone retrofitted a tank this large with a smaller kegerator? The original tank was 2.5 lb. If so, any tutorials or pictures? I’m pretty handy an can follow directions.
- Does anyone know what the best way to secure the CO2 tank, Regulator, and best way to run the lines into the kegerator?

A couple ideas are as follows:

- Figuring out some type of mount for the Co2 tank to attach to the kegerator
- Mounting the regulator directly to the co2 tank and running lines into the fridge from that. 2 options for running lines below.
o First, is there a safe spot to drill a hole in my specific kegerator wall? Anyone know where or is there a way to tell? I don’t want to cut any refrigerant lines.
o I was thinking of either running the line through a hole in the side of the fridge to the tap and caulking around it to keep the insulation in.
o Option 2 is to get some pneumatic quick disconnect fittings. Put a male/male port onto the fridge wall so that a male connection point sticks out of the fridge and another male port is on the inside. This would making changing lines a breeze if needed. Advice on the best place to get reasonably priced fittings please?
o I have some electrical wire running out of the drain hole for computer air moving fans I installed, but doubt that location is large enough to run CO2 line.

I’m open to suggestions and any help possible. I use this kegerator for random parties, but will be using it this summer to lager some homebrew. I’ve included a crappy picture trying to illustrate what I’m thinking. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2453314628.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	107065

Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3340 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 2105

First, you REALLY need to either KNOW where the cooling lines run and avoid them, or carefully drill a test hole and poke around in there to make sure you are not going to dril/cut into one of them!

Second, I was going to buy a special bulkhead fitting made for this application, but apparently the manufacturer got destroyed in the NY hurricane, and so I decided it would just be better to drill a hole big enough for the gas line to go through the kegerator wall, and then install grommets on each side to plug the space around the line. So much cheaper and still fairly easy. YMMV.

Here is a pic of the builkhead fitting in case you want to try and hunt one down somewhere. I think they go for about $15-20.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
scorpionc53
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. I emailed the supplier that I got the kegerator from. I'm hoping they can send me a safe drill spot diagram. I would think this is something that someone's got to have. There's all kinds of bulkheads out there, but most are for permanent installation of hose, not screw type fittings.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
scorpionc53
Recipes 

I googled for fittings and found links to this guys mod where he put it into another room. I basically want to do the same thing, but find these type of fittings that I can setup on the kegerator wall in a location I can hopefully find to drill through to the inside. Anyone know the name of these fittings, and where to get them? Can i get a bulkhead length that'll reach the gap of the fridge wall? Also any help on how to find a spot to drill.

Name:	image-393750711.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	107086

Name:	image-966477897.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	107087

Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

what ever you do, do not drill from the outside of the fridge!! Drill the plastic on the inside then remove the insulation so you can see the coolant lines that are against the outer skin. I drilled a 1/16" hole on the outside once and killed my fridge.

Here is a pic of my QD on my kegerator using the adapter like pictured above.....

Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1785 Times on 1418 Posts

Fwiw, I use 4" long 1/4" MFL bulkheads on my brew fridges. I got them at my LHBS but you can get them here.

Cheers!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
scorpionc53
Recipes 

Someone in another thread suggested that most mini fridges that have the plate cooler in the back of the fridge will not have any coolant lines in the side walls. Does anyone have the frosty keg and have modified it?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
flyfishnc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Second, I was going to buy a special bulkhead fitting made for this application, but apparently the manufacturer got destroyed in the NY hurricane, and so I decided it would just be better to drill a hole big enough for the gas line to go through the kegerator wall, and then install grommets on each side to plug the space around the line. So much cheaper and still fairly easy. YMMV.
Do you have a pic on how you did this?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionc53 View Post
Someone in another thread suggested that most mini fridges that have the plate cooler in the back of the fridge will not have any coolant lines in the side walls. Does anyone have the frosty keg and have modified it?
This is not true!! I don't have the Frosty Keg so I don't know about that brand but almost all new mini fridges have internal cooling lines.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
scorpionc53
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash

This is not true!! I don't have the Frosty Keg so I don't know about that brand but almost all new mini fridges have internal cooling lines.
That's what I thought. Waiting on a reply from the manufacture before I cut anything open.