auto siphon problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rookiecd

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to homebrewing, only done a few batches. So I heard how great this auto siphon gadget is, but I did not have very good luck with it. I started it in a couple pumps and it flowed until about 4 or 5 inches from the bottom of the fermenter bucket. Must have been about a gallon of beer left. I tried restarting and I just ended up blowing bubbles in the beer. I was disappointed. When I manually siphoned and tipping the bucket, I was able to get pretty close to the bottom. Anyone have this type of problem? I don't think I lifted it above the wort and I don't think I stuck it down too low either, I think it just stopped.

The only time I had issues with leaving alot of wort behind was from not having the moveable racking cane pushed as far into the outer tube as it will go once the siphon starts. Which caused the wort in the tube towards the end to have to climb higher than the surface level inside the carboy. Other than that time I usually get 95% of what's sitting on the trub.

I haven't had a problem... but I can see how you might:

• The sediment tip is bigger than most racking canes.
  • The inner tube must be push down as far as possible - it needs to be below the water line.
  • The inner tube does not push *all* the way in.

Even with these limitations, I've never had a problem getting all of the beer out. I try to leave a very thin layer on top of the trub after fermenting... that will get a little yeast in, but not enough to make a difference (and usually just enough if bottle conditioning).

It works the same way as a regular siphon/racking cane. If the tubing is at the bottom of the receiving vessel, and the siphon is started, it just can't lose suction unless something clogs it up.

Conicals negate the need in many cases for auto siphons, racking canes and othe siphon starters and can be had cheaply if adequate shopping research is done. Beer for thought ;-)

Conicals negate the need in many cases for auto siphons, racking canes and othe siphon starters and can be had cheaply if adequate shopping research is done. Beer for thought ;-)

I also always tip my fermenter when racking. It's a poor man's conical (really, more like a V-shape). Still need that siphon, though!

I have never had a problem with getting every last drop with my auto siphon.

Make sure your bucket with beer is higher than your bucket you are filling. Natural flow keeps it moving. If they are both on the floor or equal ground, you are going to have a difficult time keeping the flow.

get a jiggler siphon, they work a lot better and easier than the siphons all the homebrew stores sell

images

4f50507631725f2d4e465a3752434c6d396441-149x149-0-0.jpg

I have never had a problem with getting every last drop with my auto siphon.

Me neither until recently. Now I'm having similar issues as the OP. My last one left a gallon of wort approximately, which kinda pissed me off. And then trying to get the siphon going I was pumping oxygen into the wort which pissed me off more. Not sure what is going....

The bottling wand can also get clogged as you get closer to the trub on the bottom
The tip comes off and you can clean it out but be careful with the spring and do hicky when you pull it apart its easy to drop right down the sink drain

Yeah I'm guessing mine got gunked up as I just let it go to bottom instead of holding a bit above the yeast like I usually do. I guess I figured it wouldn't get blocked but after 4 gallons enough yeast must've gotten in there. Hate wasting beer....

If it got clogged up in the tip it probally still has gunk in there any want to check and clean

Back