My bottle cleaning technique - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > My bottle cleaning technique

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 01:09 AM   #1
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DesertBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,744
Liked 114 Times on 100 Posts



Just thought I'd share since I am a newb and it seems to be working well for me but am wondering if I got some overkill here. Less work is always better in my world:

I keep a big old bucket of h20 7-10 gal in the garage with 4oz of bleach mix. Be it a purchased bottle I want to retain or a home brew I just launch them bad boys in there. Labels eventually come right off the new. My own batch I rinse the yeast out before throwing them in there. This is supposedly equal to a sanitizer based on "the book". Odds are the bottles will be in here for weeks.

When it's time to bottle or theres no more room in there I'll then soap em up, scrub with the bottle brush and rinse with hot water (got a bottle washer).

Stick them in the dishwasher (cleaned/sanitizer sprayed) to hold them while I get ready to bottle. Sometimes run the DW afterwards.

Soak em in sanitizer for a minute or so and stack em up to be filled.

So, overkill? Just fine? Like my big-bucket of h20 thingamabob? For some reason it feels like the soap and water/bottle brush is overkill. Maybe just a hot water blast is good enough? Probably my biggest inquiry is this step.

No keg comments, I know I know.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:55 AM   #2
Dark_Ale
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Liberty, Texas
Posts: 623
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Just thought I'd share since I am a newb and it seems to be working well for me but am wondering if I got some overkill here. Less work is always better in my world:

I keep a big old bucket of h20 7-10 gal in the garage with 4oz of bleach mix. Be it a purchased bottle I want to retain or a home brew I just launch them bad boys in there. Labels eventually come right off the new. My own batch I rinse the yeast out before throwing them in there. This is supposedly equal to a sanitizer based on "the book". Odds are the bottles will be in here for weeks.

When it's time to bottle or theres no more room in there I'll then soap em up, scrub with the bottle brush and rinse with hot water (got a bottle washer).

Stick them in the dishwasher (cleaned/sanitizer sprayed) to hold them while I get ready to bottle. Sometimes run the DW afterwards.

Soak em in sanitizer for a minute or so and stack em up to be filled.

So, overkill? Just fine? Like my big-bucket of h20 thingamabob? For some reason it feels like the soap and water/bottle brush is overkill. Maybe just a hot water blast is good enough? Probably my biggest inquiry is this step.

No keg comments, I know I know.
I have not steped to the keg thing either, I usually make sure my bottles are rinced out real good after drinking, Then when I get ready to bottle I kinda look to make sure there are no nasties in there, and rince with a bleach water solution, then a good rince. I have not had any problmes so far. But I started builing a stock of bigger bottles so its not as bad. But I hope to keg soon. But the thingofabob sounds like a good idea I just dont have the room



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
the rusty knight
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
South Houston, TX
Posts: 8

I would avoid washing the bottles with detergent. It will leave a residue in the bottles. Other than that, if it works for you it appears fine. I rinse my bottles immediately after using, then sanitize with BTF Iodophor when ready to bottle a new batch.

Cheers,
Robert

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DesertBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,744
Liked 114 Times on 100 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by the rusty knight
I would avoid washing the bottles with detergent. It will leave a residue in the bottles. Other than that, if it works for you it appears fine. I rinse my bottles immediately after using, then sanitize with BTF Iodophor when ready to bottle a new batch.

Cheers,
Robert
Thanks, one less step!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:20 AM   #5
rightwingnut
 
rightwingnut's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2004
New Jersey
Posts: 463
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Doing all that every time seems like overkill...but what do I know? I soaked a batch in hot water to remove the labels, then dishwasher, then when ready to fill, iodophor. Only bottled once, and that was with brand new ez-caps.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts


I got the majority of my bottles in Germany so 7-8 cases are flippies and half liters. The remaining are just half liters. I also have about 5 cases of longnecks.

After I soak my bottles in bleach water I put them on the drying rack. I do not rinse the bleach off.

After they are dried I put a plastic wrap on the tops to protect the insides from contammination.

I read you can store them this way for periods up to a year. It comes in pretty handy when you have 20+ cases of bottles and plenty of time to dedicate to one project.

When I get ready to use I just rinse with hot water.

I haven't scrubbed a bottle in years. I rinse them out right after I pour the beer into a glass so they never have any residue to scrub out. This will really save you lots of cleaning time. After soaking I use the faucet mounted bottle washer for rinsing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
uglygoat
 
uglygoat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Clebland, OH
Posts: 2,765
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


i rinse mine out after each use, then store them till the night before bottling day. i soak them over night then rinse em out real good.

i like the 22oz bottles or bigger, simply cause there is less of them
__________________
A barrel of malt, a bushel of hops, you stir it around with a stick
The kind of lubrication to make your engine tick

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:05 PM   #8
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DesertBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,744
Liked 114 Times on 100 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I haven't scrubbed a bottle in years. I rinse them out right after I pour the beer into a glass so they never have any residue to scrub out. This will really save you lots of cleaning time. After soaking I use the faucet mounted bottle washer for rinsing.
It really did feel like a waste of time scrubbing but I didn't want to waste beer either!! Thanks this has been more than helpful it's been a time saver! No more soaping/scrubbing!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts


When I rinse them I put a bit of water in the bottle, cover the top and shake.

Pour and repeat the process several (3-4) times with hot water. This way all the sugar is gone also (it won't attack bugs like ants and such).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:11 AM   #10
rightwingnut
 
rightwingnut's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2004
New Jersey
Posts: 463
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
This way all the sugar is gone also (it won't attack bugs like ants and such).

I keep sugar around TO attack bugs...nasty bugs...



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
this okay for bottle cleaning? kid_ak Equipment/Sanitation 4 06-22-2009 04:19 AM
bottle cleaning bbriscoe Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 09-14-2007 04:32 PM
PBW and bottle cleaning scubasteve21 Equipment/Sanitation 1 02-11-2007 11:34 PM
Better Bottle Cleaning Sir Humpsalot Equipment/Sanitation 10 01-23-2007 10:03 PM
Cleaning Better Bottle McKBrew Equipment/Sanitation 3 01-09-2007 01:36 AM


Forum Jump