Great Divide Colette Saison Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt3989

Reaction score
Okay, so does anyone have any information on what this yeast is? The bottles say it's a blend of 4 different strains. From what I've found on here the yeast in the bottle is the actual yeast (not just for carbing), so I've harvested some and am currently stepping it up.

I'm hoping to brew something with it for the upcoming warmer weather, for anyone unfamiliar with the beer, it's slightly more sour than typical saisons, not overly funky, and pretty dry.

Anyone know what strains are in the blend? any idea what temp to ferment at (somewhere high, 80-85? higher?)

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Im growing some dregs from Colette too. No info either on the strains, i think i will start fermentation arroun 67 and then let it rise to 75-80.
I'll post the results.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I've emailed them once with a non-recipe related question and they got right back to me. Regardless, I'm not sure the yeasts are commercially available. Besides harvesting them, of course.

watch out when you get into you're larger steps from harvesting. It's a very violent fermentation, all of my larger steps ended up overflowing from my 2L erlenmeyer (even with only 1200ml in it). It left a lot of dried yeast on the sides and no longer smells quite as good as the first steps... I think the liquid will still be good to pitch though.

If I do it again I'll be using a gallon jug.

I'm also a little worried that because there are apparently 4 separate strains in it, it'll be easy to have one become more dominant than the others. My first steps had more of a tart smell (exactly what I was after) now I get more of a funky barnyard aroma (not what I wanted, but not bad).

Just picked up a 6 pack of Colette & immediately thought of stepping up & pitching into a saison. Interested to see if anyone else has any feedback on their luck w/ the 4 strains of yeast...

I think the problem is that during the course of fermentation, one of the strains becomes dominant. So harvesting wouldn't get you the original blend - you'll get a majority of one strain. I've seen a few other posts where they said it turned out OK but not quite like the real thing. Really though you probably can't go too wrong.

Hey, any updates on this? I had my first colette in a year, and forgot how great this beer is.

Back