Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I or shouldn't I

Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
brewerbeev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
+1. Thanks for being THAT guy who said what needed to be said given the question and the oh-so-very common misconception about bubbling airlocks (or lack thereof).

IMO, for a typical batch, you would have been perfectly fine letting it ferment in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottling. No need for a secondary in most (but not all) situations.
+1 You're definitely right that many beers are good after 3 in the primary then going straight into the bottle. I've been a big proponent of using a secondary in many cases, however, and have been catching a hard time from a lot of HBs for it. I see the value of using a secondary when it comes to clarity. I like to have a nice clear IPA or sour ale sometimes so I'll often use a secondary. But....if I were going with a hefe (obviously) or a darker beer where you'd probably not even be able to tell then I'll just bottle. I often put bigger beers or more complex dark beers like stouts in a secondary just to age too.

For primary, though, I'd definintely recommend a minimum of 2 weeks in most cases, however. Not all, though. The summer hefeweizen I make usually only sits in the primary for 10 days.