I sunk my pellicle... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > I sunk my pellicle...

Old 03-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
banik
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2009
CT
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yesterday, I checked my first sour (Duvel cultured yeast, Roeslaire, plus dregs from Rodenbach, "Green Monster", Saison Rue) that's been going for 10 months yesterday. It's amazing - I'm really pleased.

That said, the reason I checked it was because I have a 32oz bottle of tart cherry juice that is too tart for me, so I added that plus a can of sweet cherry puree. Well, some of the puree ran down the inside of the carboy, so without thinking I swirled it all up, and 'sunk' the pellicle. Does this matter? Should I try to avoid that in the future?

(Also, as a 2-for-1, should I wait for a pellicle to disappear before checking on a sour, or what?)

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
crawfman
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have been told by numerous sour brewers/pros that it's fine to dump fruit onto the pellicle. It will reform and only really drops with vibrations. I bottle by racking under the pellicle too with no issues.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
banik
Recipes 

Dec 2009
CT
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the response

Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
dcHokie
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfman View Post
I have been told by numerous sour brewers/pros that it's fine to dump fruit onto the pellicle. It will reform and only really drops with vibrations. I bottle by racking under the pellicle too with no issues.
I'm a bit curious about this advice. Seems most folks usually advocate carefully racking sour/funky/aged beers onto fruit, rather than adding fruit into the aging vessel for oxidation reasons.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
banik
Recipes 

Dec 2009
CT
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

On the other hand- don't most funky beers need some oxygen to develop correctly- that's why barrels are so popular for them?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Ohio
Liked 619 Times on 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I'm a bit curious about this advice. Seems most folks usually advocate carefully racking sour/funky/aged beers onto fruit, rather than adding fruit into the aging vessel for oxidation reasons.
Unless you liquidize the fruit and boil it, I suspect the fruit contains a lot of O2. Not sure either way makes much difference.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2281 Times on 1538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I'm pretty sure that's what most people do, but there are always different ways that work for other folks. Maybe with brett beers it's less of a worry since brett is an anti-oxidative reactant or whatever the tech term is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banik View Post
On the other hand- don't most funky beers need some oxygen to develop correctly- that's why barrels are so popular for them?
Some sure, but I woudn't want to get a bunch of air in a beer with acetobacter in it for instance.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
dcHokie
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Some sure, but I woudn't want to get a bunch of air in a beer with acetobacter in it for instance.
This was more along the lines of my comment since the OP has a sour going. I get nervous having to rack very old sours, but also not sure I want to go plopping a bunch of cherries through the neck of a carboy into an aged beer either...