The inevitable Grossman thread - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The inevitable Grossman thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

In view of what should obviously be the end of Rex Grossman's NFL career on this Weds, I thought it might be fun to look back at the following:

First the Lubby Smith vote of confidence:
Quote:
"Will Rex Grossman start Sunday? Well, our evaluation process is going on right now," Smith said. "If you come out to practice Wednesday, you'll have a better idea of who will be starting at all positions."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa

'Nuff Said
Good Prediction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
{clearing throat}
http://www.nfl.com/standings
Nuff said.
New standings this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Grossman needs to stay QB. We know he can be REALLY good, they just need to work on consistency. Very few QB's have great rookie years, and even less make it to the Superbowl in their first full year.
Time's up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
Wow, you can stop drinking the Kool-Aid any time now. It's over. The past 5 years don't mean crap. The past 5 years certainly didn't help them last Sunday!

You have a point on some of these guys but not all. Just based on potential and/or age I would take most of these young guys over your boy.
Mark Brunell -agree
Rex Gossman -disagree
Marc Bulger -disagree
Byron Leftwich -disagree
Steve McNair -disagree
Daunte Culpepper -disagree
Michael Vick -disagree
Alex Smith -agree
Chris Simms -disagree
Jon Kitna -agree
Jake Plummer -disagree
Chad Pennington -disagree
J.P. Losman -agree
Charlie Frye -agree
David Carr -disagree
Billy Volek -agree
Aaron Brooks -agree
Drew Bledsoe -disagree
Brad Johnson -disagree
Kurt Warner -disagree

I'd also take Cutler.

Everyone gets old and loses it, Father Time is undefeated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Care to revisit this list?

Still thinking you'd take Grossman, Leftwich, Culpepper, Simms, Plummer, Carr, Bledsoe, Johnson, and Warner over Favre today?

That was delusional back then and it is completely ridiculous now. 1 guy has thrown 14 INTs in his last 7 games, 2 of those weren't necessarily lighting up the league before they got hurt, and 4 of them got benched for bad play, and whats worse is all of those players are on teams with a better talent nucleus than GB.

Just curious what the spin will be this time.

loves stirring pot*
Pot re-stirred!
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 529 Times on 425 Posts

Well, the good news about Grossman is that he's consistent now. The bad news, he's consistently terrible. Just doesn't seem to be a terribly smart QB.

I ain't getting into the Favre argument again!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 09-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 115 Times on 101 Posts

I actually searched this morning here for Grossman. Not really to hammer on 'da bear fans but to see what they're thinking now of him and if the topic was already out here. He has lost all confidence.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Plainfield, IL
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts

I'm a Bear fan. It's easy to blame Grossman for the Bear's problems, but there is really much more to it. No, Grossman hasn't been great, but his receivers aren't hanging onto easy receptions and he got poor protection last week. Couple that with a completely ineffective running game and a defense that's already had a fair share of injuries and you have this season's poor start.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
mr x
Recipes 

May 2007
Mainly Halifax
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Grossman's receivers are looking like last years' Falcons receivers - total butter fingers.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 529 Times on 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I'm a Bear fan. It's easy to blame Grossman for the Bear's problems, but there is really much more to it. No, Grossman hasn't been great, but his receivers aren't hanging onto easy receptions and he got poor protection last week. Couple that with a completely ineffective running game and a defense that's already had a fair share of injuries and you have this season's poor start.
I know you've seen him a lot more than I have, but I've seen him toss a lot of DUMB interceptions. You know, the kind I like to rag on Favre about, throwing the ball up for grabs, floaters into triple coverage, but at least Favre makes a positive play or two (a lot more recently). Grossman's just not doing any of the good stuff to offset his f*ckups.

Thing is, when you're hoping for Brian Griese to be your savior.....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 09-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
You have a point on some of these guys but not all. Just based on potential and/or age I would take most of these young guys over your boy.
Mark Brunell -agree
Rex Gossman -disagree
Marc Bulger -disagree
Byron Leftwich -disagree
Steve McNair -disagree
Daunte Culpepper -disagree
Michael Vick -disagree
Alex Smith -agree
Chris Simms -disagree
Jon Kitna -agree
Jake Plummer -disagree
Chad Pennington -disagree
J.P. Losman -agree
Charlie Frye -agree
David Carr -disagree
Billy Volek -agree
Aaron Brooks -agree
Drew Bledsoe -disagree
Brad Johnson -disagree
Kurt Warner -disagree

I'd also take Cutler.
Not to rag on Todd....but damn that list makes me laugh every time.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 AM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I ain't getting into the Favre argument again!
Why? Afraid to be wrong, AGAIN?

By all means, spill it, please.

I'd love to hear about your total disregard for a player who is playing like an NFL MVP.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #9
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I know you weren't one of the haters that riled me up last year--but it just goes to show what Packer fans have endured for years. Favre hasn't had a duo of serious weapon recievers in his entire career--has endured drops, injuries, etc., and still makes average WRs look decent. He never had the weapons Elway or Marino had and still has the records and the wins to back it up.

Of course, the haters just can't see that. Maybe you can relate now.

Grossman is seeing the reality of the NFL--and I honestly feel sorry for him. He has an immense amount of pressure on him--and it is unfair, it really is. The Bears have been media darlings because of that defense and while all of that was going on, everyone is suddenly realizing that Ced Benson and Berrian and the other guys aren't all that. Plus he has the most over-rated play caller in the league. Turner = Shoop all over again.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
... Turner = Shoop all over again.
There is your real culprit in all this. Sucked at U of I, now sucking at a bigger salary with the Bears.

I tried to stick with Rex, but this season, and last Sunday night in particular, has proved he just isn't a leader. Not yet. Maybe in the future and probably with another NFL team. And now the team is so banged up that they'll be lucky to get to .500 this season. And son-of-a-Greasy is no savior either. That's why he's pinballed all over the NFL.

I'm secretly hoping that they put Griese in, he get's injured, they put Rex in and he gets injured, then they have to turn to Kyle Orton. Bear fans have to face it - Orton is the best consistent QB the Bears have had in a few seasons!