What gives beer its mouthfeel? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What gives beer its mouthfeel?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
MustGoFast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 107
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts



So I was sampling my Gonzo Clone from my flask (after I took my FG and put it in the secondary).

It's pretty sweet a little astringent although I thought that about my last batch at this point too and I think those things will fix themselves with age. My last thought though was that it had a pretty thin mouthfeel.

One of the things I love about a big porter is a nice thick creamy mouthfeel to it. What causes that in a beer anyway???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,800
Liked 324 Times on 274 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFast View Post
So I was sampling my Gonzo Clone from my flask (after I took my FG and put it in the secondary).

It's pretty sweet a little astringent although I thought that about my last batch at this point too and I think those things will fix themselves with age. My last thought though was that it had a pretty thin mouthfeel.

One of the things I love about a big porter is a nice thick creamy mouthfeel to it. What causes that in a beer anyway???
Body/mouthfeel comes from dextrins, the longer chain sugars that are not fermentation.
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
On Deck: German Lager

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
homebrewdad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,275
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Body/mouthfeel comes from dextrins, the longer chain sugars that are not fermentation.
This. These are created by mashing at higher temperatures. Also, certain ingredients will yield more of a mouthfeel than others.
__________________
Check out the priming sugar calculator, yeast starter calculator, and the beer calorie calculator.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
wilsojos
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 289
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts


Flaked oats will give a creamier mouthfeel.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
MustGoFast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 107
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


I need more research as it appears that my question was answered, but I sure didn't understand it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Posts: 9,451
Liked 1649 Times on 1308 Posts


What I have seen in my porters is that time is what gives it the mouthfeel. They start out thin and when they mature the mouthfeel really improves.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


http://byo.com/pilsner/item/1135-max...-from-the-pros
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

MustGoFast Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
MustGoFast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 107
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
What I have seen in my porters is that time is what gives it the mouthfeel. They start out thin and when they mature the mouthfeel really improves.
I hope I can say the same about mine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Thegreatestgray
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Running Springs, California
Posts: 144
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I have had two beers that out of primary had real thin mouthfeel but after they were conditioned for three weeks they had very nice body so I would just wait and see what happens

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Demus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,246
Liked 160 Times on 131 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFast
I need more research as it appears that my question was answered, but I sure didn't understand it.
Basically picture your brew as part fermentable, part not. It's controlling the unfermentable part that increases/decreases mouthfeel and head retention. I wouldn't judge a beer as a problem from a gravity sample though. It's great to taste your samples, but realize you are not tasting your finished product. Reserve judgement until it's fully conditioned and at serving temperature...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mouthfeel, mouthfeel, mouthfeel PhineasJWhoopie All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 02-05-2013 06:49 PM
mouthfeel a little off??? flyfishnc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 06-21-2009 08:54 PM
Root Beer Mouthfeel? bigoly1 Soda Making 2 02-18-2009 07:44 AM
Mouthfeel tigerface Recipes/Ingredients 1 10-25-2008 04:41 AM
Adding Mouthfeel to a beer after its been brewed Homebrewjosh All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 01-23-2008 12:04 AM


Forum Jump