Continuos Sparging - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Continuos Sparging

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
BrewHogDeluxe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BrewHogDeluxe's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Visalia, California
Posts: 80



How does continuos sparging work? Do you do this with the initial water that you put in the mash tun or after you drain off your first wort into the boil kettle.
I will have a pump with the wort circulating through a coil in the HLT so that I will be able to maintain temps.

Another question...definitions please
Lauter, batch sparge, fly sparge...what are these and the difference?

Thank you in advance for any advice



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
afr0byte
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Vermont
Posts: 1,451
Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts


Continous sparging is the same thing as fly sparging. You add your initial strike water, let the grains convert for ~60 minutes, and then you start sparging. With fly sparging you drain your mash tun slowly and add water from a separate hot liquor tank at about the same rate as you're draining the mash tun. With batch sparging you drain all of the initial strike water and then add another big batch of hot water all at once, and then drain that second batch of water (all drained in to the boil kettle).



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
afr0byte
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Vermont
Posts: 1,451
Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts


Oh, and, lautering is the process of separating the liquid from the grains after you mash.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
LovesIPA
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,521
Liked 204 Times on 153 Posts


Commercial breweries tend to fly sparge. It's slightly more efficient and they need every ounce of sugar they can get. Batch sparging is almost as good and a lot easier for the average home brewer. I've had better efficiencies with a fly sparging setup consisting of a spaghetti strainer perched over the mash tun and some paper towels lining the strainer.
__________________
Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
BrewHogDeluxe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BrewHogDeluxe's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Visalia, California
Posts: 80


Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Continous sparging is the same thing as fly sparging. You add your initial strike water, let the grains convert for ~60 minutes, and then you start sparging. With fly sparging you drain your mash tun slowly and add water from a separate hot liquor tank at about the same rate as you're draining the mash tun. With batch sparging you drain all of the initial strike water and then add another big batch of hot water all at once, and then drain that second batch of water (all drained in to the boil kettle).
So does this mean that you use mash out temperatures of say 170 F for instance with your sparging water that you are slowly trickling in on top of the mash? And I suppose you fly sparge until you get the correct volume in your boil kettle?
__________________
Bad Biker Brewery

Primary: Coffee Stout
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary:
Secondary:
On Tap: Biker Dust (Zombie Dust Clone)
Bottled: Pumpin Ale, Hefenweizen, Black IPA, Irish Stout


Necessity is the mother of invention....and I choose to invent new beers!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,000
Liked 7596 Times on 5346 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewHogDeluxe View Post
So does this mean that you use mash out temperatures of say 170 F for instance with your sparging water that you are slowly trickling in on top of the mash? And I suppose you fly sparge until you get the correct volume in your boil kettle?
Generally, you raise the temperature of the grainbed/mash to 170 first, either by direct heat or infusion or HERMS or RIMS to mashout temperatures of 168-170. Then you start sparging with 170 degree water.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
BrewHogDeluxe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BrewHogDeluxe's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Visalia, California
Posts: 80


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Generally, you raise the temperature of the grainbed/mash to 170 first, either by direct heat or infusion or HERMS or RIMS to mashout temperatures of 168-170. Then you start sparging with 170 degree water.
Just so I have it straight....

Strike water of 150F (or so)
Circulate original strike water through coil in HLT to maintain 150F (or so) for 60 mins.
After 60 mins bring mash up to 170F by circulating through the coil in the HLT
Slowly start transferring to boil kettle at the same rate that the sparge water is coming in at until you have your boil kettle at the desired volume.

Does this sound like the right method?
Thank you for explaining it

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,000
Liked 7596 Times on 5346 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewHogDeluxe View Post
Just so I have it straight....

Strike water of 150F (or so)
Circulate original strike water through coil in HLT to maintain 150F (or so) for 60 mins.
After 60 mins bring mash up to 170F by circulating through the coil in the HLT
Slowly start transferring to boil kettle at the same rate that the sparge water is coming in at until you have your boil kettle at the desired volume.

Does this sound like the right method?
Thank you for explaining it
Yep! The strike water probably needs to be at least 11 degrees warmer than the desired mash temperature, though. Preheat the mashtun, so you don't lose too much heat, and then the 11 degrees difference (assuming room temperature grain) should be ok.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
VladOfTrub
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
, Pa
Posts: 717
Liked 169 Times on 114 Posts


Recirculating for 60 minutes is going to produce lipids. The beer will not age well. If you're going from boiler to belly in 4-6 weeks it won't matter. Sparge until yor pH rises to 6 or using gravity 1010-1012.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,000
Liked 7596 Times on 5346 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
Recirculating for 60 minutes is going to produce lipids. The beer will not age well. If you're going from boiler to belly in 4-6 weeks it won't matter. Sparge until yor pH rises to 6 or using gravity 1010-1012.
Many many brewers (including pro brewers) recirculate continuously- can you provide a link with the information that recirculating is harmful to the wort? Thanks!


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fly sparging vs. batch sparging michaelpeach76 General Beer Discussion 13 10-03-2012 12:16 PM
Sparging Burksbrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 09-22-2011 05:16 AM
Sparging batfishdog37 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 03-04-2009 03:22 AM
Lid on When Sparging scottfro All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 11-09-2007 05:41 PM
Fly Sparging Vs. Batch Sparging New2HomeBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 08-08-2007 05:25 PM


Forum Jump