Fruit Beer Blood Orange Hefeweizen - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Fruit Beer Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #61
sneeron
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
new lenox, il
Posts: 39
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Made 10 gallons of this on Fathers Day. I did a triple decoction and used Canadian Malted wheat because I had half a sack of it saying use me for something so I listened. It's a very aggressive fermentation -- I love watching happy yeasties. Other than that I'm sticking to the recipe. I planed to brew this weeks ago then life happens. I will post up some beer porn with tasting notes when ready.
Cheers!!!
__________________
Kevin!!!
If bacon is an option,I put bacon on it.

cbenn22 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #62
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,205
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeron
Made 10 gallons of this on Fathers Day. I did a triple decoction and used Canadian Malted wheat because I had half a sack of it saying use me for something so I listened. It's a very aggressive fermentation -- I love watching happy yeasties. Other than that I'm sticking to the recipe. I planed to brew this weeks ago then life happens. I will post up some beer porn with tasting notes when ready.
Cheers!!!
Yes this beer, is the James Brown of beer (Hardest Working Man)....when I first made this, I recorder the fermentation and used it as a screen saver!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #63
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sfrisby's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,827
Liked 276 Times on 183 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nolabrew85
So I made this and left in primary for 45 days (mostly because I was too busy to bottle sooner). Do I need to add more yeast when bottling if I am bottle carbing with primary sugar or will it carb enough well enough with whatever yeast is still in suspension?
No extra yeast needed after 45 days

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #64
sneeron
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
new lenox, il
Posts: 39
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Slim, I just added my blood orange lemonade and yes, James Brown is right, this ferm was rockin for days! I hit it with 3333 and will let it do its thing. I primary for 3 weeks ,unless its a hop bomb ,so yeast can clean up after them selfs! With the second ferm from 3333 should I go longer to let those beasties do their thing?I keg so I'm looking at a rack to the kegs(I did 10g) in what 18 or so days? I like to set it to 33f on 25lbs CO2 for 5-6 days for hefe's. I plan on doing your lemon-lime next. Looking forward to this one.
Cheers!!!
__________________
Kevin!!!
If bacon is an option,I put bacon on it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #65
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,205
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeron
Slim, I just added my blood orange lemonade and yes, James Brown is right, this ferm was rockin for days! I hit it with 3333 and will let it do its thing. I primary for 3 weeks ,unless its a hop bomb ,so yeast can clean up after them selfs! With the second ferm from 3333 should I go longer to let those beasties do their thing?I keg so I'm looking at a rack to the kegs(I did 10g) in what 18 or so days? I like to set it to 33f on 25lbs CO2 for 5-6 days for hefe's. I plan on doing your lemon-lime next. Looking forward to this one.
Cheers!!!
No need for additional fermentation...just add 3333 with orange mixture....the main reason for two yeast is that 1007 ferments very smooth with very little sulfur, 3333 is a very sensitive yeast strain but will help your beer finish up extremely well if the primary fermentation has started to subside, additionally the two yeast create an interesting flavor profile when combined this way.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #66
rappell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
rappell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2013
Yuba City, CA
Posts: 208
Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts


Question. Am I reading this correctly (noon here)? You mix the Brown sugar in the mash?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #67
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,205
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rappell
Question. Am I reading this correctly (noon here)? You mix the Brown sugar in the mash?
No...brown sugar at boil, similar to brewing extract.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #68
bassman22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 17
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Any word on that extract recipe version? Looking to do a blood orange hefe and seeing as they are out of season here, I stumbled upon this excellent and unique alternative.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #69
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,205
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Hello, sorry I thought I had already posted that....in order to brew the extract, the only version that came close to me was the following:
  • 8lbs of Wheat Liquid Extract
  • 1.5lbs of Brown Sugar
  • follow rest of recipe (hop schedule, yeast, orange aid, fermentation)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #70
bassman22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 17
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


You da man! Question- does the lemonade give it any sour kick?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blood Orange Hefeweizen gnedge Home Brewing Photo Forum 652 07-06-2015 03:24 PM
Blood Orange Hefeweizen wdwalter Recipes/Ingredients 4 02-23-2013 07:47 PM
Blood Orange Hefeweizen drhall23 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 06-06-2011 11:19 PM
Blood Orange Hefeweizen JLW Recipes/Ingredients 2 11-18-2010 05:43 PM
blood orange hefeweizen help. icu812 Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-31-2009 02:13 AM


Forum Jump