Sour mashing and a berliner weisse - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour mashing and a berliner weisse

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
tjBrewer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 80
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


I don't ferment in there. But yeah, once it's as tart as I like it, I'll put the kettle on the burner with the chiller in it and boil the whole thing for 20-30 min. This should kill everything and the beer is now "clean". Then I'll just rack into a fermenter and treat it like any other beer.

Next time I'm gonna try an extract version to make it an even faster process. Maybe I will try and ferment in the kettle. Who knows. If it goes bad its less than a $10 batch.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
MagooBrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 927
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjBrewer View Post
I don't ferment in there. But yeah, once it's as tart as I like it, I'll put the kettle on the burner with the chiller in it and boil the whole thing for 20-30 min. This should kill everything and the beer is now "clean". Then I'll just rack into a fermenter and treat it like any other beer.

Next time I'm gonna try an extract version to make it an even faster process. Maybe I will try and ferment in the kettle. Who knows. If it goes bad its less than a $10 batch.
Could you explain how you would do an extract version. This really has my attention. Thanks.


__________________
"A flute with no holes is not a flute......
....... and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish."

Ty Webb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #13
tjBrewer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 80
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MagooBrew

Could you explain how you would do an extract version. This really has my attention. Thanks.
Too easy, just 4-5 pounds of wheat DME for a 5 gal batch. That should get you 1.030-1.040. Using DME will keep the wheat/barley ratio about 50/50. Do a 15 min or so boil, cool to 100 and toss in a handful of grain. Try to keep the temps around 100 until its where you want it. Boil for 30 min with your hop addition around 15 min. Cool, rack to fermenter, pitch whatever yeast you want.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
MagooBrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 927
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjBrewer View Post

Too easy, just 4-5 pounds of wheat DME for a 5 gal batch. That should get you 1.030-1.040. Using DME will keep the wheat/barley ratio about 50/50. Do a 15 min or so boil, cool to 100 and toss in a handful of grain. Try to keep the temps around 100 until its where you want it. Boil for 30 min with your hop addition around 15 min. Cool, rack to fermenter, pitch whatever yeast you want.
Thanks. Ill give it a try
__________________
"A flute with no holes is not a flute......
....... and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish."

Ty Webb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #15
tjBrewer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 80
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Good luck!

Just make sure that while you are souring not to contaminate equipment you are using on other brews. There's a lot of wild stuff going on in there so be careful.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
MagooBrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 927
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts


Correct me if I am wrong but the only thing that can get contaminated is the mashing vessel. After this everything has been boiled.
__________________
"A flute with no holes is not a flute......
....... and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish."

Ty Webb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
tjBrewer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 80
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MagooBrew
Correct me if I am wrong but the only thing that can get contaminated is the mashing vessel. After this everything has been boiled.
That's why I mash in my boil kettle. With the process I use the only thing that gets contaminated is whatever you are using to take samples to taste. I've got a dedicated glass thief that I use for all my sours so no worries of cross contamination there.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
mot
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
MN
Posts: 625
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


You are not getting rid of your lacto even boiling it still stays in the beer.
Try a no boil Berliner better results IMO and half the time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
malweth
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Posts: 464
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
You are not getting rid of your lacto even boiling it still stays in the beer.
Try a no boil Berliner better results IMO and half the time.
If it's boiled, it's clean. The lactobacillus are still in the beer, but they're dead and will drop out.

I don't know about better or worse, but the sour mash/wort is pretty darned fast. 3-4 days souring, 3-4 days fermenting... and straight into the keg/bottle from there after crashing.
__________________
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12 Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
tjBrewer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 80
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth

I don't know about better or worse, but the sour mash/wort is pretty darned fast. 3-4 days souring, 3-4 days fermenting... and straight into the keg/bottle from there after crashing.
Definitely fast, from grain to glass in under two weeks!


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2866082026.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	125715



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not quite sour Berliner Weisse gxm Recipes/Ingredients 11 06-28-2014 01:53 PM
Berliner Weisse not sour enough? eulipion2 Lambic & Wild Brewing 11 02-24-2013 04:19 PM
My berliner weisse went sour.... somedudefromguam Lambic & Wild Brewing 7 12-12-2012 02:34 PM
Sour Cherry and Sour Apple Berliner Weisse experiment stblindtiger Lambic & Wild Brewing 10 07-21-2012 12:54 AM
Berliner Weisse won't sour HillbillySasquatch Lambic & Wild Brewing 6 06-26-2011 04:25 PM


Forum Jump