Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ok to hydrate yeast the night before?

Old 03-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

Yup. I prefer to rehydrate,then bring the yeast cream down to within 10 degrees of current wort temp. I finally realized that that's why rehydrated dry yeast batches took off so soon & so strong. gotta keep the yeast healthy right through pitching time. Then keep ferment temps within range & Bob's your uncle.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
Da11en47
Recipes 

I always have trouble getting the yeast to cool down to around 75 by the time my wort is done chilling. Is it ok to place the measuring cup of yeast in another pan of cooler water to quicken the cooling process?

Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

I've even put it in a small ice bath.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da11en47 View Post
I always have trouble getting the yeast to cool down to around 75 by the time my wort is done chilling. Is it ok to place the measuring cup of yeast in another pan of cooler water to quicken the cooling process?
What I've read (and follow) suggest the process of "attemperating" your rehydrated yeast slurry.

That simply means to add a small amount of the wort (which is, of course, cooler) to your yeast slurry, stir and let it sit a few minutes. I find that I usually have to repeat this 2-3 times before the yeast is within 10*F of the wort.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post

What I've read (and follow) suggest the process of "attemperating" your rehydrated yeast slurry.

That simply means to add a small amount of the wort (which is, of course, cooler) to your yeast slurry, stir and let it sit a few minutes. I find that I usually have to repeat this 2-3 times before the yeast is within 10*F of the wort.
This is the way to do it for a few reasons. It provides the yeast with a food source now that they are "awake". It also allows them to start create the the appropriate enzymes based on the wort environment. They are able to adjust to pH and the osmotic environment. And lastly they acclimate to the wort temperature in a controlled fashion.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #26
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

You could pitch it in a small amount of starter wort in a sanitized growler and cover with sanitzed foil the night before.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #27
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsojos View Post
You could pitch it in a small amount of starter wort in a sanitized growler and cover with sanitzed foil the night before.
That seems like it would be a lot of extra effort with little or no extra benefit. You would then be subjecting the dry yeast to the same stresses (and cell loss) as sprinkling dry.

It's a whole lot easier and straightforward to incorporate proper rehydrating into your brew routine.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #28
andy6026
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Thanks to everyone that chipped into this thread. I had two helpers show up unexpectedly so it turned out to be no problem to rehydrate the yeast shortly before pitching while others supervised the kettle/burner. Nonetheless I'm sure I'll be brewing alone at some point, so this information will come in handy.

I now have a dark ale from a Coopers kit in the fermenter. OG was 1042. The brew went smoothly except that I forgot to submerge the wort chiller into the boiling wort 15 minutes prior to the hour... so I ended up boiling for an extra 10 minutes. Not quite ideal, but I shrugged and opened a beer...

Old 03-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #29
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd

That seems like it would be a lot of extra effort with little or no extra benefit. You would then be subjecting the dry yeast to the same stresses (and cell loss) as sprinkling dry.

It's a whole lot easier and straightforward to incorporate proper rehydrating into your brew routine.
Have you ever used a yeast starter or know anything about it? I would dare say it is one of the easiest ways to improve your beer substantially.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsojos

Have you ever used a yeast starter or know anything about it? I would dare say it is one of the easiest ways to improve your beer substantially.
You should never do a yeast starter with dry yeast. For all the reasons previously stated, even 1.040 wort used for liquid starters will kill a significant amount of cells. When properly hydrated, dry yeast has twice the cell count of liquid yeast and can easily handle anything 1.060 or lower. For any brew higher than that, it is cheaper and more effective to just pitch a 2nd packet of dry yeast.

BigFloyd Likes This