"Pro" brewers who make beers with obvious flaws - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "Pro" brewers who make beers with obvious flaws

Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Xpertskir
Recipes 

May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Liked 455 Times on 293 Posts

I had one last night and it pisses me off. An American IPA that was very obviously fermented at too high a temp, I cant imagine what it tastes like when they ferment in the summer.

Anyways, these brewers:

1. Cant taste the flaw

2. Don't know enough to fix it

3. Don't care as long as people are buying their beer

Honestly, I don't know which option is the worst.

/rant

Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
PistolsAtDawn

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Charleston, SC
Liked 76 Times on 49 Posts

Hmm. And I thought I would open this thread to find another Charlestonian complaining about a local brewery.

I won't name the brewery because I like the guys involved, but all of their pale or non-dark-malt based ales are astringent. pH problem.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts

I just had some bad beer at a popular brewpub in a vacation area.

The beers were undercarbed, a bit phenolic (in an amber and a pale ale), and simply not very good.

I think that the reasons are a combination of factors- it's more of a restaurant who happens to want to brew so they brew as well. They don't have a microbiologist on staff, so the yeast health is questionable. People buy it and drink it- so they don't know that it's not very good.

I probably get more fair-to-middlin beers at brewpubs than good ones overall. Occasionally, you find a place with good beer but even then some styles are worse than others.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Xpertskir
Recipes 

May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Liked 455 Times on 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolsAtDawn View Post
Hmm. And I thought I would open this thread to find another Charlestonian complaining about a local brewery.

I won't name the brewery because I like the guys involved, but all of their pale or non-dark-malt based ales are astringent. pH problem.
LOL...there are only a few options. Its not Coast or Westbrook, although they do have a weird pissing match going on(while I'm on it).

Does it rhyme with poley dity?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Near Boston, Massachusetts
Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
3. Don't care as long as people are buying their beer
/rant
My guess is this is the primary driver. It seems that as brewery get larger, the commercial aspect dominates - as I suppose it has to. Although there are still some that continue to pursue excellence in their beers even as they grow. I think that here in the NE, Alagash is a great example. They've grown a lot, but they are still picky about what they release. It's refreshing - in more than one way, actually!
Wee Heavy

Old 03-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
DPBISME
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Raleigh, NC
Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts

Then again.... when I lived in California I would occasionaly go to a Rock Bottem in Sunnyvale (I think) and all of their brews were so hoppy I had to cut them with a lemon or a sprite to drink them.

There was a place in Oakland also that to me all their bees tasted "burned" (to hoppy in a dark sort of way)

I have been to over 300 brewies and a few of them I did not care for the beer.

Even here in Washington DC the Capital City Brewery for a long while only had one beer I could drink... they are now better (at least for me).

SO I figure;;;;; maybe they like it that way...

Time to visit another brewery or ask them to brew a different style.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Nightshade
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Richland, WA
Liked 193 Times on 150 Posts

Sometimes the brewers hands are tied by an owners recipe from years ago that the owner doesn't want modified in any way despite the brewer explaining proper technique and the reasons behind it.

Not that I know anything about that

Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
KeystoneHomebrew

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Montgomeryville, PA
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts

We've all had underwhelming beer. But one thing I can add re: selling beer you know is "bad", is that once it's brewed, they have to pay all the taxes on it. Dumping beer costs big money, not just from the ingredients, but also federal and state taxes.

SteveHeff Likes This 
Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
LeBreton
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Finger Lakes, NY
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

In addition to the many good points made so far, pro brewers can easily suffer from cellar fatigue, where they're so used to sampling the same 5-8 house brews over an over again that their palates stop being objective.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Nightshade
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Richland, WA
Liked 193 Times on 150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post
In addition to the many good points made so far, pro brewers can easily suffer from cellar fatigue, where they're so used to sampling the same 5-8 house brews over an over again that their palates stop being objective.
So true and tough not to fall into as well.