Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Easy 2-row smash recipe

Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Easy 2-row smash recipe

I've brewed about 30 batches so far, with usually decent but variable results. I stopped caring for my latest batch and brewed this to use up ingredients

8lb Great Western pale malt
1/2oz Amarillo 8.5% 60min
1/2oz Amarillo 8.5% 30min
1/4oz Amarillo 8.5% 15min
1/4oz Amarillo 8.5% 5min

I didn't record my mash temp, but it was probably 68C falling to 64C in an hour, while I took a nap. I used Nottingham off the bottom of a fermenter I had racked 2 days before. I did not use my fermentation chamber but just stuck the bucket up in my darkroom for a couple weeks.

I have this in a keg next to a batch of Edwort's pale ale which came out a bit thin, and for a while I honestly thought I labeled the kegs wrong, because this SHaSH is so good. It was 2-weeks younger than the Edwort's ale but cleared up and became tasty faster. I usually use Amarillo for dryhopping but I assume it's the Amarillo hop bill that's making this so tasty. There is also a surprisingly strong malt flavor for a 100% pale grain bill...no crystal, no carapils, and it has good head and lacing. When I try hard, I swear it never turns out this good. I never reused Nottingham before, but this is making me reconsider.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Kampo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice. Thinking of trying my first all grain and do something like this. And I agree when i try hard it never turns out the best. My best beer is a wheat pale I did as a left over brew. Used 3 year old wheat lme, 1 year old light DME and yeast that came with that wheat lme....it was freaken awesome.... Tried to recreate it and it wasn't near as good