CO2 Tanks Size Recommendation? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > CO2 Tanks Size Recommendation?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Hammy71
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Hammy71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Posts: 5,891
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts


I refuse to swap. I don't want some rusty steel tank for my aluminum darlings.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,988
Liked 266 Times on 201 Posts


I don't think I've ever been to a place that fills co2. HVAC Supply houses only swap. Some of the steel tanks have been in service over a hundred years, you can see all the hydro stamps on the neck and foot. I could see how people would like "new and shinny" but for me, it's just another tank. Next time I go in to Airgas, I may trade up sizes or down, or for another gas like beer gas or C25. I understand that many would not want a nasty old tank in their clean house, but my house is not that clean. A nasty old tank fits my Ambiance, makes the statment "this guy likes beer and guns and girls that are a little crazy". Do not mix any of those things.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
dazed
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Posts: 108
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


At least you won't get no Alzheimer's from steel...I got my tetanus shot though....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mjdonnelly68's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Glenmont, NY
Posts: 1,276
Liked 158 Times on 112 Posts


20lb - minimum.
__________________
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
zachattack
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
, MA
Posts: 2,770
Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I understand that many would not want a nasty old tank in their clean house, but my house is not that clean. A nasty old tank fits my Ambiance, makes the statment "this guy likes beer and guns and girls that are a little crazy".
In general I'd agree, but if beer or another liquid backs up into a steel tank (which can certainly happen under the right conditions) it'll rust and lead to some funky off flavors. Actual "food grade" CO2 cylinders are supposedly glass-lined to prevent this. For me, I'll stick to my new shiny aluminum tank, who knows what's happened inside the old rusty steel one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
At least you won't get no Alzheimer's from steel...I got my tetanus shot though....
The "aluminum causes Alzheimer's" myth has been busted long ago.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
beaksnbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 2,844
Liked 505 Times on 334 Posts


[QUOTE=zachattack;4988245] For me, I'll stick to my new shiny aluminum tank, who knows what's happened inside the old rusty steel one.



Or what has gone on inside your "new" tank for that matter. Plenty of people have bought brand new Regulators only to find that they were not cleaned. The weld shop I use says most aluminum tanks come out of China or South America, so who knows really inside any tank. But these guys come over to drink at my place so they know where it's going (they also breakdown the tanks and valves for certification)
__________________
Quote:
Home of the 12 Tap keezer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,988
Liked 266 Times on 201 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
In general I'd agree, but if beer or another liquid backs up into a steel tank (which can certainly happen under the right conditions) it'll rust and lead to some funky off flavors. Actual "food grade" CO2 cylinders are supposedly glass-lined to prevent this. For me, I'll stick to my new shiny aluminum tank, who knows what's happened inside the old rusty steel one.



The "aluminum causes Alzheimer's" myth has been busted long ago.
I had no idea a co2 tank could be glass-lined. Can you give me more information on this? Link?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
zachattack
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
, MA
Posts: 2,770
Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I had no idea a co2 tank could be glass-lined. Can you give me more information on this? Link?
Unfortunately no. Everything I've read about it has been on forums, I have nothing solid! The whole "food grade vs. non food grade" CO2 debate seems to be completely anecdotal. I can't find any hard evidence one way or another, and I can't find anyone selling glass-lined tanks. The only place is mentioned is when people talk about "food grade" CO2.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
zachattack
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
, MA
Posts: 2,770
Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Or what has gone on inside your "new" tank for that matter. Plenty of people have bought brand new Regulators only to find that they were not cleaned. The weld shop I use says most aluminum tanks come out of China or South America, so who knows really inside any tank. But these guys come over to drink at my place so they know where it's going (they also breakdown the tanks and valves for certification)
That's true. The number of new regulators that don't work due to crap in the diaphragm is pretty astounding, judging by all the "help my new regulator doesn't regulate" posts.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone know of new size restriction on transporting CO2 tanks msa8967 Bottling/Kegging 6 11-20-2010 12:34 PM
What Size CO2 Tanks Do I Have? Don223 Bottling/Kegging 8 10-19-2010 02:51 AM
Pot Size Recommendation Brewer_Steve Equipment/Sanitation 22 02-12-2009 03:25 AM
What size CO2 tanks do you use for two 5 gallon kegs? fat x nub Bottling/Kegging 33 09-04-2008 05:30 PM
what size equipment/recommendation newbrewr4fun Equipment/Sanitation 2 08-30-2008 06:34 PM


Forum Jump