Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How is everyone here keeping hops and hot break from fermenter?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3973 Times on 2692 Posts
Likes Given: 2874

I have a 15.5 gallon keg for a boil kettle and a dip tube going to a valve. Pretty normal. I have started placing a stainless scrubby pad under the dip tube. When the boils is complete, I just open the valve and the scrubby prevents large chunks from getting into my CFC and clogging it up. After a very short time it also seems to filter the output much like a MLT does for a grain bed, and the wort is pretty clear.

Before I started trying this I would just siphon using a siphon tube and after a few minutes of whirpooling I'd start siphoning from the top and lowering the siphon tube as it went. That worked pretty good too, but was a bit too much "hands on". I often got chunks of stuff including tons of hops from IPAs nearly clogging my hoses. I have yet to brew an IPA using the stainless scrubby, but I think it will be fine. I have a 10 gallon batch coming up in the not too distant future to try it.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

After many plate chiller incidents trying various whirlpool and pickup tube options I went with this and never looked back. Works fantastic.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought the one that Kal has listed on his site. I was not able to keep it from clogging when I used my immersion chiller. I now have a CFC and it works pretty well. You can only drain at a slow rate otherwise it will clog, but you end up doing that anyway with a CFC so it isn't a big deal. I have seen a thread in the DIY forum that describes making these.