Ever Mix Your Beers For The Hell of It? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ever Mix Your Beers For The Hell of It?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #21
Jun 2011
Gainesville, FL
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Before I started brewing I had a keg of Newcastle Brown and a keg of Bells Expedition Stout on tap and mixed 50/50 was excellent. We called it Blackcastle.
Primary: Karma Tsunami, Sour Puss, Saison
Secondary in Keg:
On tap: Poolside Light Lager, Zythos Amber Ale, Imperial Stout

Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #22
Nov 2009
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts

I had frankenkeg at one point.

I made 7 or so 6 gallon batches. I had a keg with a mediocre pale ale 1/2 full. I added the extra gallon from each brew (several weeks apart) to the franken keg. It went well for a while, but after a blacker than your soul stout gallon was added, it was a porter for the last 3 additions despite them being light colored.

It was interesting, but left me with some nice combinations that will be impossible to replicate.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #23
Oct 2011
Fleetwood, Pa
Liked 152 Times on 107 Posts

My Zombie dust and Pliny make a pretty good mix.(they're on taps next to each other so had to do it)
Screw it, Lets brew it

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Montanaandy Likes This 
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #24
Jan 2013
Kansas city, KC MO
Liked 538 Times on 391 Posts

I want to do a strawberry wheat and a peanut butter stout. Black and tan style.... peanut butter jelly time!
"good people drink good beer" -HST

Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #25
Oct 2009
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I have been doing this for quite some time although I have only mixed within a few specific styles (i.e. PA's and IPA's and IIPA's). Have had some really nice results/surprises and will continue to experiment.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #26
Oct 2011
State College, PA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My local brew pub mixes an Apricot Wheat & IIPA about 30/70 that's nice, they call it an 18 since it's twice as good as a #9. it's the only way I can get my wife to drink an IIPA.
I also went to another brew pub that mixed Strawberry Wheat and Double Chocolate Stout and called it a chocolate dipped strawberry. That one was hard to get a good ratio but they did make adjustments as I drank it until it tasted right so no complaints there.
There is a Firestone Walker anniversary beer available that is a blend of quite a few different beers they brew and it is delicious. I'd recommend trying that blend if you can find it.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #27
Feb 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tripplehazzard View Post
I want to do a strawberry wheat and a peanut butter stout. Black and tan style.... peanut butter jelly time!
With a baseball bat?
Primary: cabernet sauvignon, El dorado pale
Seconday: Golding abbey, Flanders Red, Cocoa IPA, S.C.A. IPA
Bottled: Golding kolsch, Raspberry Mead, Berlinner Weisse, Caliente Pale ale, Amarillo/Citra wheat
Kegged empty

Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
Aug 2012
boras, V.Gotaland
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Had a black and tan with a Pale Ale from Brooklyn Brewery and a Guinnes not that long ago.

The taste was very different from an ordinary beer. Cant say it was bad, probably need to try it a couple more times since its a very odd taste.

The funny thing was when I ordered it. Did it at a quite ordinary pub and the bartender who never heard of it, got real exicited and had one as well. Later in the evening there where several people aorund the bar drinking black and tan.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
Aug 2011
Bismarck, ND
Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthRiverS View Post
I've taken an overcarbed beer and mixed it with a low carbed beer, to even out the carbonation.
I did a Belgian Black and tan when one of my bottles of Belgian Imp Stout was flat and I had some Belgian PA on hand. It was pretty good!
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
Drinking: Irish Red, Hoppy Brown, Belgian Export Stout, Oktoberfest, Dubbel
Fermenting: Belgian Saison, Session Steam(ish)
On Deck: Pilsner/Schwarzbier split batch, Berliner Weiss? White IPA?

Youtube Channel on Homebrewing ::: Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts

Right now I have a very malty Coffee Vanilla Porter on tap next to a very light-bodied, slightly overcarbed Rye Mild. The Rye really makes the Porter pop. Makes me want to brew a Rye Porter next... hmmmm...
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.