Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Flanders Red or Brown - leave on yeast?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
dmoore714
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oach View Post
Did you do a Flander red or brown? Do you mind sharing your recipe along with mash temps, etc?
Sorry for the delayed response. Hereís the recipe I used. This is a Flanders Red recipe, adapted from a guy in my local brew club. His volumes were much more specific. I rounded mine up/down to the nearest half pound (cause Iím lazy).

Where his recipe called for pale wheat, I subbed in some Red Wheat
Where his reciple called for EK Goldings, I used Saaz
And I threw in the .75lb of amber DME because I had it laying around

5 lb 2-row
5 lb Vienna
1 lb Munich
.5 lb Belgian Aromatic
.5 lb Caramunich
.5 lb Special B
.5 lb Red Wheat Malt
.75lb Amber DME
0.75 oz Saaz

I started out my mash way too high (170) but managed to drop it down with some ice over the first 5+ minutes of the mash. Mashed for 60 minutes and boiled for 90 minutes. If I recall correctly, my OG was something like 1.064.
I pitched the Rosealare and some US-05 in primary. Racked to secondary after 7 days, and there she sits for the next several months.

I have 2oz of oak cubes to add. Canít decide how much to use, and what (if anything) to soak them in before I put them in. Weíll see.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
knucklenitz
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just brewed a Flanders Red first time this past weekend as well. Will likely rack to secondary in a month or so but also have questions about how much French oak cube to add, boil first, how long to leave in secondary, etc.