Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 1st Time Kegging - CO2 Question

Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
spaceyaquarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post
What temp is the beer at now? And what carb level are you shooting for? If you think it is under carbed then definitely just leave it on the gas and it'll get to the right level over the next few days or a week.
The beer is in the mini-fridge at 40 degrees F. I'd like a nice 3.0 carbonation. I didn't shake the keg at all after reading a few posts. I'll just wait and test it once a day.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #22
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius

The beer is in the mini-fridge at 40 degrees F. I'd like a nice 3.0 carbonation. I didn't shake the keg at all after reading a few posts. I'll just wait and test it once a day.

Thanks.
Well for 3.0 volumes of co2 at 40F you'll need 18PSI 3.0 is higher than most American ales are carbonated to but if you want it that highly carbed you'll need to bump the pressure up.

For reference: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post
Well for 3.0 volumes of co2 at 40F you'll need 18PSI 3.0 is higher than most American ales are carbonated to but if you want it that highly carbed you'll need to bump the pressure up.

For reference: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
Let's see, I had the CO2 at 30 PSI for 5 days, then turned it off completely for 2 days. Then burped the keg and turned it to 10 PSI for 1 day. Now it's flat and tastes bad. Isn't serving pressure 6-12 PSI? I'm thinking of pouring it out, is there a chance the batch is ruined taste-wise?

I have a new batch ready to be kegged, so what do you think?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3359 Times on 3245 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius View Post
Let's see, I had the CO2 at 30 PSI for 5 days, then turned it off completely for 2 days. Then burped the keg and turned it to 10 PSI for 1 day. Now it's flat and tastes bad. Isn't serving pressure 6-12 PSI? I'm thinking of pouring it out, is there a chance the batch is ruined taste-wise?

I have a new batch ready to be kegged, so what do you think?
Serving pressure depends on the carbonation level and temperature, and can be found using the chart zeekage linked above. There aren't separate pressures for carbonation and serving, they're one and the same. If you carb your beer to 3.0 vol, but then serve it at 40 and 10psi, you'll lose CO2 every time you pour a beer until the carbonation level reaches equilibrium with the pressure at 2.3 vol (per the chart). And FWIW to serve a beer at 40 and 3.0vol, you're going to need really long lines to prevent the pour from being a foamy mess.

Messing with the carbonation isn't going to ruin the flavor of the beer. Overcarbonation can result in a slightly sour carbonic acid "bite", but that's about it. Any other flavor issues are coming from somewhere else.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #25
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post

Messing with the carbonation isn't going to ruin the flavor of the beer. Overcarbonation can result in a slightly sour carbonic acid "bite", but that's about it. Any other flavor issues are coming from somewhere else.

I would think that it should be overcarbonated at this point, after so long at 30 PSI, but I don't see bubbles coming out of the beer, and it tastes flat. It does have a aftertaste to it.

I set it to 18 PSI now since it's at 40 F and will see what happens.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #26
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius

I would think that it should be overcarbonated at this point, after so long at 30 PSI, but I don't see bubbles coming out of the beer, and it tastes flat. It does have a aftertaste to it.

I set it to 18 PSI now since it's at 40 F and will see what happens.
IIRC your beer was at 30psi when it was at 62 degrees right? Warmer beer absorbs less co2 than colder beer. So 30psi at 62 F is only 2.7 volumes of co2 so it's probably not over carbonated yet. Leave it at 18psi if u want 3 volumes of co2 and test it daily. There's definitely no reason to dump it just based on what you've done to it pressure-wise.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #27
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ok, leaving it at 18 PSI and will check once a day.

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So now the beer tastes better, but still has a bitter aftertaste. The glasses are pouring with half head and half beer. Could it have gone from undercarbonated to overcarbonated in one day? Maybe it still needs a day or two, since I haven't belched yet after drinking 2 glasses.

Keg is at 36 degrees F and 16 PSI.

Next time I'm doing the set it and forget it method. Force carbonating didn't work for me at all.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #29
WileECoyote
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius View Post
So now the beer tastes better, but still has a bitter aftertaste. The glasses are pouring with half head and half beer. Could it have gone from undercarbonated to overcarbonated in one day? Maybe it still needs a day or two, since I haven't belched yet after drinking 2 glasses.

Keg is at 36 degrees F and 16 PSI.

Next time I'm doing the set it and forget it method. Force carbonating didn't work for me at all.
16 PSI's is almost twice as much as you want to serve beer at, unless you have like 30 ft serving hoses, run your serving pressure anywhere from 7 to 11 lbs, I would try 9 psi and adjust from their, that should get you into the ballpark.

If I were you, I would also read up on keg carbing and keg serving pressures, the threads under these two searches will explain everything and help you understand the process.

This is what I did, and it helped so much with kegging/carbing/serving pressures, their is so many variables in this process that you really need to do some research to figure out what will work best for you and your system and brews.

Cheers

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote
spaceyaquarius Likes This 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
WileECoyote
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Also just an fyi and imo, I have also found that when using Co2 to carb my beers, the taste is much better after 8 to 10 days of being on the gas, anything before that and it just dosn't taste right (ether forced or forget it)

When my beers are on the gas (forget it method) I set my regulator at 9 psi and leave it for 10 days at 38 deg before tasting, this seems to work very good for me and my system.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote
spaceyaquarius Likes This