Watered down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikon90s

Reaction score
This is my first batch and it seams a little watered down to me. It has been in the bottles for two weeks, and it was in the ale pail for two weeks before. I do get a little sound when I open one and some head. It is a Scottish ale and the color looks good but I was expecting more. Any ideas on what I would have done wrong. Do I need to keep it in the bottles for longer? Should I have left it in the initial fermentation longer? Should I have the boiled grains and hops longer or hotter?

It does tastes good but just like a light beer.

What was your OG?
What is your FG ?

Did you put water in your primary and add wort to it? If so, you need to know the OG before adding water, or you end up lower the OG and thus the FG of the finished product, resulting in a watered down brew.

Invest in a hydrometer and test beaker for future brews. It really is a must have item.

Take detailed notes, invest in a home brew book. ( I recommend "The joy of home brewing" by Charlie Papazian ) read it, love it, and lurk/read the forums.

Almost all of my ales taste bland early on and then to my surprise the flavor
deepens a couple of weeks later and I have no idea why. Your ale is pretty
young. Give it a week or two. You may be glad you did.

Also, FWIW, you can't boil hotter. You boil at 212F and that's it. It cant get hotter. Just mover vigorous boil with a greater amount of heat input with a greater amount boiled off. Just a little thermodynamics lesson for the day.

As for the taste of your beer, we can't really tell much with out the gravity readings, like the other posters have mentioned. I would also suggest you get a hydrometer test kit and a homebrew book. The most popular is certainly "The Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. Another good book is "How to Brew" by John Palmer. I've got both and have learned a ton from both. YMMV

Back