Well THAT was a total disaster... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Well THAT was a total disaster...

Old 03-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
924RACR
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Royal Oak, MI
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yesterday was our first time, after months of relatively successful AG brewing, that was pretty much a complete disaster, a total chitstorm...

Moral of the story: don't brew like I do.

It started with, and this was probably the biggest issue, an error in translation on the order. Emailed the shopping list to the brew buddy who was responsible for placing the order. In addition to of course hops and yeast, the grain bill (for a 10gal IPA) was:

24 lbs 2-row
3 lbs 10L Crystal
8oz carapils

As ordered:

24 lbs 2-row
31lbs 10L
8oz carapils

Compounding the error - since it was in fact our first 10gal, we didn't twig to the fact that we had nearly twice as much grain as we ought to. So we ground it all up, then tried to fit the 50+# of grain into our poor keggle mash tun. Gave up at 48lbs, 6lbs just sat this one out. Lucky for them.

Then we tried to mash in. Of course, we needed a lot more water than we had. But we had plenty of time to heat water as we were trying to mash in, because... too much grain, and adding the water to the grain (never an issue before, but when you've got grain to the top of your tun...) well, it took us about half an hour to mix and get all the stuff decently hydrated. Of course, the temp was too low, thanks to too much grain, so then trying to recirc and get the temp up to a reasonable level for mashing. Oh, and of course the thermometer was surrounded by a bit of a doughball we couldn't mix in, so it was reading low... good thing we had other thermometers to run from the top.

Oh, did I mention we ground it way too fine??? Yeah, rollers on the mill slipped since last time, and we suspect the weight of all that wet grain up top made things even worse... so our false bottom was jammed up bad and wouldn't even recirculate.

So we've got a layer-cake effect, with a warm wet mash up top, dry/doughy grain in the middle, and a small volume of liquor on the bottom below the false bottom. We're trying to draw that off to recirculate, while heating as well to get temp in more evenly through the mash... and so of course since there's grain through to the bottom, and not enough liquor, we're also scorching...

So we finally got it up to between 140-145, and called it good enough, let it camp out for an hour to think about what it'd done.

Oh, and in case you're wondering... no, we hadn't even consumed any beverages at this point!!! No excuse for all the cock-ups except inexperience, rushing to get things done (of course, it was only 28F outside and snowing), and not closely checking our steps as we went.

So after an hour, time to attempt a sparge. Of course, it's a complete mess we're heading into; we know it's gonna stick badly, thanks to the excessive weight and too-fine milling. So we get the ball rolling. No extra space up top to add water and get things rolling - still full right to the top, even after pulling off some grain.

Sure enough, no matter how many times we try to blow back and get a bed going, it just won't ever set up a good drain. We end up stirring heavily and using the mash paddle to try to keep clearing space on the false bottom, to draw off enough liquor to have a boil.

Finally made it through to the boil after a stupid amount of effort, and it started to resemble a normal brew. Boiled over heavily, of course, thanks to the massive amount of particulate in the boil kettle, but oh well. Jammed our hops in, and as expected with the stupid overload of grain, came out with crazy-high OG in spite of my estimate of 41% efficiency. LOL

Oh, and we were a bit worried about how sweet it was coming out, so we did decide to kick up the hops a bit on the fly - only added 1oz additional Warrior, but made most additions ahead of schedule to bump up the IBUs. May have overdone that a bit; final numbers are:
OG 1.101
IBUs 138
SRM 19.3

Could be one helluva tongue-bruiser; OTOH, the Columbus hops do tend to be more mellow, so maybe it'll still be drinkable! Definitely going to pack a punch, should be able to clear 10% ABV with those numbers. May end up something like an Arrogant Bastard clone, in a way; if not all that arrogant, it's definitely a bastard of a brew!

Two more weeks, we'll crank through the Old Chub clone; looking forward to doing a much better job than this weekend... dang, I need a beer just thinking about all that again...

Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Fordzilla

Recipes 

Nov 2011
Rochester, NY
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

THIRTY ONE POUNDS OF CRYSTAL!? Wow! Haha didnt your pal notice the price was way out of whack? That beer is going to be cloyingly sweet with that much crystal.

Live and learn. Nobody becomes a great brewer without trial and error and learning a few things the hard way.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
924RACR
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Royal Oak, MI
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, he did mention he was surprised how expensive it was, but hey, first 10gal batch! LOL - and not like we haven't done 5gal high-gravity stuff before, either...

The sweetness is exactly why we started to crank up the hops - just sorta swagged it, but when we added another 1oz of Warrior with 30min to go, it actually started to smell like beer again, not breakfast...

As they say, you always learn more from your mistakes than your successes. I hope we've learned a year's worth, 'cuase I definitely don't wanna repeat that any time soon...

Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
ArtimusBeerimus

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Chicagoland, IN
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Not sure if I want to laugh or cry reading your post. I'm inclined to cry, actually... Lesson learned... brew on!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
rmaloney86

Recipes 

Jun 2012
Milford, Delaware
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well at least you made my day better. Thank you

Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Denver, CO
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I really hope you bought online. I'd be very disappointed in a homebrew store that lets you buy 31 lbs of Crystal without saying anything...

passedpawn Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Liked 182 Times on 135 Posts

WTF? I know you have to take a little responsibility but it sucks that homebrew store you shop at didn't double check on the reason you're buying (by mistake) 31# of crystal. If it comes out too sweet you could always use it as a blending beer!

Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
collingswood, nj
Liked 1158 Times on 790 Posts

Wow .. with more crystal than base grain I bet it is not going to ferment very low.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
924RACR
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Royal Oak, MI
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

LOL! Yeah, if it's at all drinkable, we'll count it as a "success"...

Yes, purchase was online.

Yes, my purpose in posting was to give others a chance to point and laugh and realize some of those disasters aren't so bad, could always be worse!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
jungatheart
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Fort Davis, Texas
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Great story. Funny how we don't tell stories about the perfect brew day or the perfect vacation. We always talk about the ones gone wrong. They're a lot more interesting.