Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Unmalted Spelt in Mash

Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
lowtones84
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Default Unmalted Spelt in Mash

I know it has been talked about before and there is still some debate, but I have more evidence of raw spelt not needing to be cereal mashed. I even did this doing stovetop BIAB but using a step mash. I'm not saying this is the end of the debate by any means (I've read spelt can have varying gelatinizing temperatures) but this experience shows me that with my source of unmalted spelt I can use it just like unmalted wheat.

Just brewed a Belgian pale with 1.5 lbs of unmalted spelt in the mash in a total grain bill of 9 lbs. I did a traditional step mash (The rest of my grain was pilsener malt, 1.5 lbs. of it home roasted in the oven) but did not cereal mash the raw spelt. Ended up with 1.056 OG with 5 gallons total volume (about 77% brewhouse efficiency) while I was shooting for 1.052 w/ 5.25 gal total volume. Other than the lower than expected volume (did a full two hour boil ) these kind of numbers/ that efficiency is very typical of my system.

If anyone is interested in more of the recipe/the final product when it's ready just let me know. Cheers all!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2245 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 2332

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtones84
I know it has been talked about before and there is still some debate, but I have more evidence of raw spelt not needing to be cereal mashed. I even did this doing stovetop BIAB but using a step mash. I'm not saying this is the end of the debate by any means (I've read spelt can have varying gelatinizing temperatures) but this experience shows me that with my source of unmalted spelt I can use it just like unmalted wheat.

Just brewed a Belgian pale with 1.5 lbs of unmalted spelt in the mash in a total grain bill of 9 lbs. I did a traditional step mash (The rest of my grain was pilsener malt, 1.5 lbs. of it home roasted in the oven) but did not cereal mash the raw spelt. Ended up with 1.056 OG with 5 gallons total volume (about 77% brewhouse efficiency) while I was shooting for 1.052 w/ 5.25 gal total volume. Other than the lower than expected volume (did a full two hour boil ) these kind of numbers/ that efficiency is very typical of my system.

If anyone is interested in more of the recipe/the final product when it's ready just let me know. Cheers all!
I'd be surprised off you need a cereal mash for raw wheat, either. Corn needs it for sure, but wheat, spelt, or even rye seem like they'd convert ok with a step mash that lasts a coupe hours.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
lowtones84
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Yeah, I was saying that like unmalted wheat, unmalted spelt doesn't need a cereal mash, at least in my experience. I've done it before too but I wasn't taking readings at that time

Credit to user smokinghole for alerting me about this a very long time ago.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts

I used raw spelt for 37% of the grain bill for a turbid mash, along with Dingemans Pils. Worked just like raw wheat does. It has a much stronger flavor than wheat though and I would cut it in half with wheat next time.
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
JKaranka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Weyermann makes malted spelt, might be easier to use