Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5535 Times on 4682 Posts

Barley wine, barley wine. I do like it. Chicken Killer and Kickin Chicken, specifically. Currently.

Today I was at the 1%er grocery and discovered wheat wine. Boulevard Harvest Dance. Very wheaty and hopped just right.

And to be sure it wasn't a made up thing, I mean, everything is, but not totally made up, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/60

Can't find it in BJCP though.

Anyone else drinking wheat wine? Brewing wheat wine?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
KeystoneHomebrew

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Montgomeryville, PA
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts

Two Brother's Brewing and Smuttynose introduced me to this style. I basically brew an imperial Hefe, ferment with American Hefe yeast, and hop it with high alpha European hops like Pilgrim, Admiral, and Brewer's Gold.

Tasty, tasty stuff!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts

Wheat wine is totally made up, just like all the other styles. Some are just more recently made up and less strictly defined than others. There is a recipe for Harvest Dance in Wheat.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
Liked 570 Times on 312 Posts

I have one from a local brewery, but I've been saving it much like I save my barleywines. I've always been a fan of imperial wit beers, so it didn't seem that odd to take wheat the extra mile and make it a wine. I'm interested in the percentages of wheat used in wheat wine.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
Zuljin
TR Fitness King

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5535 Times on 4682 Posts

It doesn't taste totally made up. It doesn't feel totally made up. I got the bottle and everything. It's not like dog hair and cat whisker beer, which is totally made up... of dog hair and cat whiskers.

I just mean I didn't see it in the style guideline. Not even under specialty beer. Barleywine is there.

Wheat wine is here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...ine#Wheat_Wine so we know who is more up on things, like the Ramones' mom.

Quote:
Wheat Wine

A relatively recent American development, Wheat Wine is a barley wine made with a high proportion, usually 50% or more, wheat malt. Similar to American barley wine, but with a grainy, bready flavor and a distinctive fluffy mouthfeel.