Wyeast question. Did I contaminate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKlong

Reaction score
So I bottled my latest batch tonight which is a rye pale ale. I have never used rye, but figured I would like it based on Sierra Nevada ruthless rye. I used the bravo hop that I was told they use and wyeast. That last part was new to me as I have used pretty much dry yeast exclusively in the past. I have used wyeast one other time and another liquid that I forget the name of right now. Getting on with the question.

When I pulled the lid off my bucket I found a small plastic bag floating. I have never seen it before, and am certain it isn't from hops or Irish moss. Is it possibly the inner pack from the smack pack? My beer tastes a little off, and I can't think of any other reason it would be since the rest of my process is all pretty sound. At the same time I would think that the plastic being inside the smack pack would be sanitized. What say you? Is the rye a different flavor than I expected?

I am 99.9% sure it is the inner sack of yeast nutrients from the smack pack and yes, it was and remained sanitized in the in the smack pack. As for the off flavor you'll need to be more specific in order for us to know if you have a problem or not.

I am 99.9% sure it is the inner sack of yeast nutrients from the smack pack and yes, it was and remained sanitized in the in the smack pack. As for the off flavor you'll need to be more specific in order for us to know if you have a problem or not.
Yep. OP you'll be fine

I'm not sure how to describe the flavor at this point. The other observation I made was that the yeast cake was not compacted like it usually is. Instead it looked more pelletized.

I may have forgotten to sanitize something when moving from kettle to bucket. The bucket lid maybe. I'm really unsure since I had too many of my last batches while doing this one. Six total to be exact, and they were imperial and breakfast stouts. I gotta learn to pace myself. :drunk:

Different strains of yeast flocculate differently. I've seen loose lumpy yeast cakes that look like little pellets, smooth sludge that looks like pudding, and a bunch of stuff in between. Try to describe the off flavor, but so far there's nothing that would lead me to believe it's an infection.

Post your recipe, fermentation temperature, and how long it's been in primary and we'll see if we can narrow this down.

Mashed the following at 150 and got 70% efficiency.
10 lbs 2 row
3 lbs flaked rye
1 lb crystal 60

Hops
First wort .75 oz bravo
15 mins .5 oz cascade
Flame out .5 oz cascade & .25 oz bravo

Added Irish moss with 15 mins left.

Pitched 1056 at 68 degrees. Fermentation in the range of 62-64 for 20 days.

I still don't know how to describe the taste really. I only had an ounce or so of it while bottling, and it was just kind of harsh. I'll be able to give more on that in 2 weeks when conditioning is done.

The smack pack shouldn't have hurt anything, it went in clean. I would let it condition for a bit before you judge on the final taste, I typically let my stuff go 3 weeks minimum in bottles.

I'm sure after bottle conditioning it will settle down. Rye has a sort of spicy quality to it, so you may be getting some of the character of that with 21% in the recipe. It'll probably be a tasty beer.

Cracked these open this weekend while brewing and all is well. In letting most if them continue conditioning for another week, but my fridge was on the brink if empty so I chilled some to drink while brewing Friday night.

I may have forgotten to sanitize something when moving from kettle to bucket. The bucket lid maybe. I'm really unsure since I had too many of my last batches while doing this one. Six total to be exact, and they were imperial and breakfast stouts. I gotta learn to pace myself. :drunk:
That's why I don't drink while brewing anymore. You get hammered and can't remember what you did, next thing you know, sh!ts all screwed up and it's impossible to troubleshoot.

Back