Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Coconut Cream Stout-competition runner up

Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Based on the original post, he racks to secondary and then adds the coconut loose. (hence the need for the hop sock on the end of the siphon.)

Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
loudgonzo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

thanks, racking to secondary it is and loose.

thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
BrewmeisterSmith
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, loose. It's a pain in the @ss, but worth it in the end.

Primary: Strawberry Schwarzcake, El Hefe, Pulque, Apple Pie Hard Cider
Kegged: Simcoe IPA, RyePA, Harvest Ale

Old 05-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
FermentedTed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudgonzo View Post
Or anyone?
Based on the recipe it's added in the secondary. Whenever I've done secondary additions, I usually just put the addition in the secondary first and rack the beer on top. I do like the idea of using the bag, though, in response to the comment about difficulty in racking to keg. Anyone see any drawbacks to throwing the coconut in a steralized hop bag?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
BrewmeisterSmith
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentedTed View Post
Based on the recipe it's added in the secondary. Whenever I've done secondary additions, I usually just put the addition in the secondary first and rack the beer on top. I do like the idea of using the bag, though, in response to the comment about difficulty in racking to keg. Anyone see any drawbacks to throwing the coconut in a steralized hop bag?
Thats generally how I've been doing it lately. However, I like the bag idea. The coconut doesn't seem to soak up much of the beer like hops do. Maybe worth a shot. Just weight it down somehow. I'm going to start doing this with dry-hopping and adding an extra 10% hops. Not sure if you'd need add more coconut doing it this way. Couldn't hurt. If it's not as coconutty as you'd like, just add a splash of Malibu rum

Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Couple of things anyone. Never made a stout before and was wondering if this can be done in a one gallon batch just incase it all goes tits up, or is that a stupid question.
Everything im doing is in 1 gal batches until I get the hang of brewing..
Also looking at a chocolate milk stout they suggest soaking the nibs in vodka for a few days, would that work for the coconut? Bag, soak then bung it all in the secondary..

Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
BrewmeisterSmith
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Stouts are amazingly forgiving. I wouldn't worry too much about messing it up. Just follow the recipe and use sanitary practices. 1 gallon doesn't get you much beer. It would be less than 8 pints since you'll have less beer from racking. I typically brew no less than 5 gallons. I've got about 40 gallons of variety brewing away in fermenters now.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #28
mbar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Do you think adding coffee to this recipe would overwhelm the coconut?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
BrewmeisterSmith
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentedTed View Post
I tried using a hop bag and it was WAY easier to rack. I upped the coconut to 12 oz. It turned out great and I was left with a full volume...no beer loss due to messy loose coconut shavings.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #30
BrewmeisterSmith
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I added this to the original post too, but this beer was just served at the NHC in Philly, where I was informed that Charlie Papazian drank and "loved" this beer.

People Like This