Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My New HERMS Setup

Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #61
Kegwizard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Hi What does everyone think of Lonnie Mac's idea of a Counter-recirculating Re-sparge System. I am starting the plans for my brewing system and i am considering this for the obvios reason that i only need 2 pots and burners. i know i can add another pot and burner down the road but im building a 20gallon system so for now it would be nice to only need 2. the link below explains what the whole thing is about if you dont know what im talking about.
http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/brutus20.html

Old 12-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #62
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegwizard View Post
Hi What does everyone think of Lonnie Mac's idea of a Counter-recirculating Re-sparge System. I am starting the plans for my brewing system and i am considering this for the obvios reason that i only need 2 pots and burners. i know i can add another pot and burner down the road but im building a 20gallon system so for now it would be nice to only need 2. the link below explains what the whole thing is about if you dont know what im talking about.
http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/brutus20.html
I built one and it works well. I don't do the counter circulation thing anymore though. When it gets to that point I heat the rest of the water for mashout in the BK and then just pump that into the MLT then recirculate the MLT for 10 minutes or so. I then pump it all back into to the BK very slowly (.25 gal a minute). By doing this my efficiency went from 58% to 70%.

Mod: Would you mind splitting this out into a new thread for OT?

Old 01-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #63
monkeyboy09
Recipes 

Can you tell me what you used for your thermometer setups? I'm building a HERMS system and ordered a weldless theremomter from morebeer, but i'm guessing i'll be replacing it down the road since the probe isn't protected and is the typical thin stem type. Your probe looks to be more rugged/industrial, and what i'm looking for.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #64
Sab
Recipes 

Default nice set up!

Very sweet set up - nice work!!!

- where did you find that heavy duty burner?