Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cheap N or CO2 source to deoxygenate hops

Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Tim Rhoads
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheap N or CO2 source to deoxygenate hops

Hops hate oxygen. Lots of folks simply evacuate an oxygen impermeable container to store their hops, but a better way is to use an inert gas such as nitrogen or CO2 to displace the oxygen, as well as using the oxygen impermeable container. There must be a cheap way to do this. Ideas? I am wondering if you can get a plain old propane tank filled with these gases, or some other cheap alternative. You also have to think about regulating down the pressure to a trickle. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You could get one of those CO2 chargers for about $13.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You could actually buy a co2 tank, it would also come in handy when you keg.

I'm not sure exactly how you'd do that, I suppose it would depend on the container. But I suppose if you're not vacuum sealing, even removing 50% of the oxygen would be better thna just dropping it in a tupperware container or something.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hmmm, this might be one of those times where dry ice could come in handy. Since it expands something like a thousandfold upon evaporation, a couple little slivers should be enough to displace the air in most airtight containers. Just make sure that the containers won't hold too much pressure, and preferably burp it a few times too. Dry ice is something like a buck or two a pound these days, and one pound should be plenty for a large amount of hops.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #5
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Am I missing something here. Just a hose run from the LP side of your CO2 regulator will fill any container you want in seconds...

EDIT: Opps... Just re-read that the original poster doesn't have a tank. Perhaps this will be a more useful response:

12g CO2 cylinders can be had at most sporting goods. Better bike stores will carry a pocket "pump" that uses these cylinders to fill bike tires. Combine that pump with a basketball needle, and you have a small and cheap way to purge hop baggies of air.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
photogscott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think nitrogen has more inert qualities than co2. I store hops and grain with a foodsaver, so fast and easy. Its a little expensive $120 but there's plenty of non brew uses for it.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Get one of those CO2 powered keyboard cleaners....

Old 09-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhornet
Get one of those CO2 powered keyboard cleaners....
Check the label. Many of those are freon and other "non-edible" gasses.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogscott
I think nitrogen has more inert qualities than co2. I store hops and grain with a foodsaver, so fast and easy. Its a little expensive $120 but there's plenty of non brew uses for it.
that was gonna be my suggestion...rather than bathe it in an inert gas, just suck all the air out and use a bag that's not air-permeable.

i've been trying to justify the cost of a foodsaver....still not there yet. but I also don't buy bulk hops.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
Tim Rhoads
Recipes 

Default The solution

I appreciate all of your suggestions, but I think I have come up with a better solution which is easy and cheap too. I bought a 20 oz. CO2 tank with a valve and hose for $35 at a local paint ball establishment. Yes, N is better than CO2, but N is expensive. Anyway, I put my hops in small sealable glass jars (like old olive jars, etc.), stick the hose down into the bottom of the jar, open the valve slightly and purge the air from the jar, seal the jar, and into the freezer. Several plastics are fairly oxygen impermeable, but nothing beats glass for this use, hence our glass bottles that we put our pride and joy (BEER!) in. It works great. Twenty ounces of CO2 will last for YEARS doing things this way. Problem solved. I would put a picture on here if I could just figure out how. Next year I will store leaf hops from my garden in the same manner after I have dried them.